Re: 20050228: decoders and IDV

Robb Kambic wrote:

To: Unidata Support <address@hidden>
From: "Mark J. Laufersweiler" <address@hidden>
Subject: decoders and IDV
Hello

I am tryin to set up my DODS/ADDE/THREDDS server and have started
with something simple to server up and so I figured I would start
with the metars. But now I not sure what I doing wrong. When I run
the idv on the created metart netcdf file I get:

java -Xmx512m -jar idv.jar (wd: ~/idv)

Couldn't decode unit attribute (0|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8 Table 12-5) of
variable "char_Ptend": Lexical error at line 1, column 2.
Encountered: "|" (124), after : ""

hey mark,

hope things are well with you.  good support question, has all the facts.
i downloaded and tested your metar netcdf example file. it's in the
correct format so that's not the problem. i speculate that the problem is
in the netCDF API that the IDV is using to read the file, so i'm including
others in this response to get their opinions.

the downloaded file is at:

/upc/share/testdata/station/ldm-old/markMetar.nc

robb...

the variable does not have legal udunits:

 int char_Ptend(recNum);
    :long_name = "Character Pressure tendency";
    :_FillValue = -99999; // int
    :units = "0|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8 Table 12-5";