Re: 20050124:GRIB to AWIPS netCDF (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 16:58:50 -0600
From: Jordan Gerth <address@hidden>
To: Robb Kambic <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: 20050124:GRIB to AWIPS netCDF

Hello Mr. Kambic,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I have been doing some digging.

I took a look at the Unidata web site and the pages related to NUWG-style
netCDF, but the only AWIPS-related file has to do with satellite imagery,
and even that is not a generic CDL. I do notice a few draft CDLs for the
RUC/MAPS model, but after reviewing them believed they probably would not
work (based on what is needed for a proper AWIPS netCDF file, and the fact
that the RUC runs slightly differently than the NAM and GFS which I am in
need of converting). I did not specifically try them, however.

As I am only in high school, I am still learning the basics of netCDF and
how AWIPS standards need to be integrated. Any attempt from my end would
likely be laborious and probably unsuccessful in the end. Knowing that this
issue has come up before, I am surprised that there has never been a utility
developed. I attempted to contact Forecast Systems Laboratory, but have not
heard back from them.

I searched the web for the desired program and have turned up empty-handed.
A decoder cannot be found, and no one offers forecast model data in
AWIPS-style netCDF.

E-mails have been sent to various groups in regards to this issue, but there
never seems to be an absolute answer. Thank you for the effort you have
already put into this issue. I very much appreciate the replies, regardless.

Meteorologically,

Jordan Gerth