Re: 20041220: netCDF Decoders - Decoding/Tiling ETA218 (12km) with gribtonc

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Francois Vandenberghe wrote:

> Robb,
>
> I installed the 3.0.7 decoders on my computer, the gridtocdl and gridump
> work fine but the gridtonc crashed at the very beginning. I suspect the
> problem is that my NETCDF library is compiled with pgf90 and I used the
> defaut compilation option (gcc) with the decoder. I need to fix this
> problem first before I can test the tiling. I'll let you know my
> progress (if any) and/or my problems (certainly).

francois,

good news, yesterday i downloaded a couple different files and decoded to
netcdf, it worked w/o  errors. i'll attach the cdl used.  i agree the
netcdf and udunits libraries need to be rebuilt. a word of
advice on building on linux, do

% setenv CC gcc

before running configure to get the compiler flags correct.

robb...

> Thanks,
>
> Francois
>
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Robb Kambic wrote:
>
> > francois,
> >
> > with the test file, i discovered that level 245 was missing. it was
> > recently added. a new decoders release was made decoders-3.0.7.tar.Z.
> > it's available in the ftp directory.
> >
> > after building the release, run gribtocdl again to create a new cdl, then
> > run gribtonc. i don't know if this will solve your problem but it's a step
> > in the right direction.
> >
> > robb...
> >

> > On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Francois Vandenberghe wrote:
> >

> > > Setting back to 255 brings the previous problem of the La1 error message:
> > >
> > > Dec 21 19:22:53 gribtonc.exe[9804]: 379, eta.t00z.awip21806.nc nav.
> > > mismatch La1: 33.011 != 19.9433
> > >
> > > as I specify the south west corner at 19.9433N while the tile I am reading
> > > begins at 33.011N
> > >
> > > I have attached the tile file (it's binary but not very big) in case your
> > > connection would allow this transfer.
> > >
> > > Thanks again,
> > >
> > > Francois

netcdf Replace_with_model_name{

dimensions:
        record = UNLIMITED ;   // (reference time, forecast time)
        x = 69 ;
        y = 72 ;
        fhg = 2 ;              // fixed height above ground
        level = 39 ;           // isobaric levels
        lbls = 6 ;              // layer between 2 depths below land surface
        hybr = 1 ;              // hybrid level
        lpdg = 7 ;              // layer between levels at specif. pressure
diffs from ground
        lfhg = 1 ;              // layer between 2 height levels above ground
        ls = 1 ;              // layer between 2 sigma levels
        liso = 1 ;              // layer between two isobaric levels
        bls = 1 ;              // depth below land surface
        time_len = 21 ;        // string length for datetime strings
        valtime_offset = 2 ;   // number of offset times
        nmodels = 1 ;          // number of models
        ngrids = 1 ;           // number of grids
        nav = 1 ;              // for navigation
        nav_len = 100 ;        // max string length for navigation strings

variables:

        double reftime(record) ;        // reference time of the model
               reftime:long_name = "reference time" ;
               reftime:units = "hours since 1992-1-1" ;

        double valtime(record) ;        // forecast time ("valid" time)
               valtime:long_name = "valid time" ;
               valtime:units = "hours since 1992-1-1" ;

        :record = "reftime, valtime" ;  // "dimension attribute" -- means
                                        // (reftime, valtime) uniquely
                                        // determine record

        char   datetime(record, time_len) ; // derived from reftime
               datetime:long_name = "reference date and time" ;
               // units YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm:ssZ  (ISO 8601)

        double valtime_offset(valtime_offset) ; // valtime - reftime
               valtime_offset:long_name = "hours from reference time" ;
               valtime_offset:units = "hours" ;

        char   forecasttime(record, time_len) ; // derived from valtime
               forecasttime:long_name = "forecast date and time" ;
               // units YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm:ssZ  (ISO 8601)

        float  fhg(fhg) ;
               fhg:long_name = "fixed height above ground" ;
               fhg:units = "meters" ;

        float  level(level) ;
               level:long_name = "isobaric level" ;
               level:units = "hectopascals" ;

        :lbls = "lbls_bot, lbls_top" ; // ("lbls_bot, lbls_top") uniquely
                                       // determines lbls

        float  lbls_bot(lbls) ;
               lbls_bot:long_name = "bottom level of layer between 2 depths
below land surface " ;
               lbls_bot:units = "cm" ;

        float  lbls_top(lbls) ;
               lbls_top:long_name = "top level of layer between 2 depths below
land surface " ;
               lbls_top:units = "cm" ;

        float  hybr(hybr) ;
               hybr:long_name = "hybrid level" ;
               hybr:units = "" ;

        :lpdg = "lpdg_bot, lpdg_top" ; // ("lpdg_bot, lpdg_top") uniquely
                                       // determines lpdg

        float  lpdg_bot(lpdg) ;
               lpdg_bot:long_name = "bottom level of layer between levels at
specif. pressure diffs from ground " ;
               lpdg_bot:units = "hPa" ;

        float  lpdg_top(lpdg) ;
               lpdg_top:long_name = "top level of layer between levels at
specif. pressure diffs from ground " ;
               lpdg_top:units = "hPa" ;

        :lfhg = "lfhg_bot, lfhg_top" ; // ("lfhg_bot, lfhg_top") uniquely
                                       // determines lfhg

        float  lfhg_bot(lfhg) ;
               lfhg_bot:long_name = "bottom level of layer between 2 height
levels above ground " ;
               lfhg_bot:units = "hm" ;

        float  lfhg_top(lfhg) ;
               lfhg_top:long_name = "top level of layer between 2 height levels
above ground " ;
               lfhg_top:units = "hm" ;

        :ls = "ls_bot, ls_top" ; // ("ls_bot, ls_top") uniquely
                                       // determines ls

        float  ls_bot(ls) ;
               ls_bot:long_name = "bottom level of layer between 2 sigma levels
" ;
               ls_bot:units = ".01" ;

        float  ls_top(ls) ;
               ls_top:long_name = "top level of layer between 2 sigma levels " ;
               ls_top:units = ".01" ;

        :liso = "liso_bot, liso_top" ; // ("liso_bot, liso_top") uniquely
                                       // determines liso

        float  liso_bot(liso) ;
               liso_bot:long_name = "bottom level of layer between two isobaric
levels " ;
               liso_bot:units = "kPa" ;

        float  liso_top(liso) ;
               liso_top:long_name = "top level of layer between two isobaric
levels " ;
               liso_top:units = "kPa" ;

        float  bls(bls) ;
               bls:long_name = "depth below land surface" ;
               bls:units = "cm" ;

        long   model_id(nmodels) ;
               model_id:long_name = "generating process ID number" ;

        // navigation variables all use nav dimension

        char   nav_model(nav, nav_len) ;        // navigation parameterization
               nav_model:long_name = "navigation model name" ;

        int    grid_type_code(nav) ;
               grid_type_code:long_name = "GRIB-1 GDS data representation type"
;

        char   grid_type(nav, nav_len) ;
               grid_type:long_name = "GRIB-1 grid type" ;

        char   grid_name(nav, nav_len) ;
               grid_name:long_name = "grid name" ;

        int    grid_center(nav) ;
               grid_center:long_name = "GRIB-1 originating center ID" ;

        int    grid_number(nav, ngrids) ;
               grid_number:long_name = "GRIB-1 catalogued grid numbers" ;
               grid_number:_FillValue = -9999 ;

        char   x_dim(nav, nav_len) ;
               x_dim:long_name = "x dimension name" ;

        char   y_dim(nav, nav_len) ;
               y_dim:long_name = "y dimension name" ;

        long   Nx(nav) ;
               Nx:long_name = "number of points along x-axis" ;

        long   Ny(nav) ;
               Ny:long_name =  "number of points along y-axis" ;

        float  La1(nav) ;
               La1:long_name = "latitude of first grid point" ;
               La1:units = "degrees_north" ;

        float  Lo1(nav) ;
               Lo1:long_name = "longitude of first grid point" ;
               Lo1:units = "degrees_east" ;

        float  Lov(nav) ;
               Lov:long_name = "orientation of the grid" ;
               Lov:units = "degrees_east" ;

        float  Dx(nav) ;
               Dx:long_name = "x-direction grid length" ;
               Dx:units = "km" ;

        float  Dy(nav) ;
               Dy:long_name = "y-direction grid length" ;
               Dy:units = "km" ;

        byte   ProjFlag(nav) ;
               ProjFlag:long_name = "projection center flag" ;

        float  Latin1(nav) ;
               Latin1:long_name = "first intersecting latitude" ;
               Latin1:units = "degrees_north" ;

        float  Latin2(nav) ;
               Latin2:long_name = "second intersecting latitude" ;
               Latin2:units = "degrees_north" ;

        float  SpLat(nav) ;
               SpLat:long_name = "latitude of the southern pole" ;
               SpLat:units = "degrees_north" ;

        float  SpLon(nav) ;
               SpLon:long_name = "longitude of the southern pole" ;
               SpLon:units = "degrees_east" ;

        byte   ResCompFlag(nav) ;
               ResCompFlag:long_name = "resolution and component flags" ;

        // end of navigation variables

        float  Psl_et(record,y,x) ;
               Psl_et:long_name = "Mean sea level pressure (ETA model
reduction) at mean sea level" ;
               Psl_et:GRIB_parameter_number = 130 ;
               Psl_et:GRIB_level_flag = 102 ;
               Psl_et:units = "Pa" ;
               Psl_et:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               Psl_et:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  P_msl(record,y,x) ;
               P_msl:long_name = "Pressure reduced to MSL at mean sea level" ;
               P_msl:GRIB_parameter_number = 2 ;
               P_msl:GRIB_level_flag = 102 ;
               P_msl:units = "Pa" ;
               P_msl:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               P_msl:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  P_sfc(record,y,x) ;
               P_sfc:long_name = "Pressure at surface of the earth" ;
               P_sfc:GRIB_parameter_number = 1 ;
               P_sfc:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               P_sfc:units = "Pa" ;
               P_sfc:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               P_sfc:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  P_trop(record,y,x) ;
               P_trop:long_name = "Pressure at tropopause" ;
               P_trop:GRIB_parameter_number = 1 ;
               P_trop:GRIB_level_flag = 7 ;
               P_trop:units = "Pa" ;
               P_trop:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               P_trop:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  P_maxwind(record,y,x) ;
               P_maxwind:long_name = "Pressure at maximium wind speed level" ;
               P_maxwind:GRIB_parameter_number = 1 ;
               P_maxwind:GRIB_level_flag = 6 ;
               P_maxwind:units = "Pa" ;
               P_maxwind:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               P_maxwind:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  Z_sfc(y,x) ;
               Z_sfc:long_name = "Geopotential height at surface of the earth" ;
               Z_sfc:GRIB_parameter_number = 7 ;
               Z_sfc:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               Z_sfc:units = "gp m" ;
               Z_sfc:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               Z_sfc:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  Z(record,level,y,x) ;
               Z:long_name = "Geopotential height at isobaric levels" ;
               Z:GRIB_parameter_number = 7 ;
               Z:GRIB_level_flag = 100 ;
               Z:units = "gp m" ;
               Z:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               Z:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  Z_lltw(record,y,x) ;
               Z_lltw:long_name = "Geopotential height at lowest level of the
wet bulb zero" ;
               Z_lltw:GRIB_parameter_number = 7 ;
               Z_lltw:GRIB_level_flag = 245 ;
               Z_lltw:units = "gp m" ;
               Z_lltw:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               Z_lltw:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  Z_frzlvl(record,y,x) ;
               Z_frzlvl:long_name = "Geopotential height at 0 degree isotherm
level" ;
               Z_frzlvl:GRIB_parameter_number = 7 ;
               Z_frzlvl:GRIB_level_flag = 4 ;
               Z_frzlvl:units = "gp m" ;
               Z_frzlvl:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               Z_frzlvl:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  T_sfc(record,y,x) ;
               T_sfc:long_name = "Temperature at surface of the earth" ;
               T_sfc:GRIB_parameter_number = 11 ;
               T_sfc:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               T_sfc:units = "degK" ;
               T_sfc:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               T_sfc:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  T_fhg(record,fhg,y,x) ;
               T_fhg:long_name = "Temperature at fixed height above ground" ;
               T_fhg:GRIB_parameter_number = 11 ;
               T_fhg:GRIB_level_flag = 105 ;
               T_fhg:units = "degK" ;
               T_fhg:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               T_fhg:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  T(record,level,y,x) ;
               T:long_name = "Temperature at isobaric levels" ;
               T:GRIB_parameter_number = 11 ;
               T:GRIB_level_flag = 100 ;
               T:units = "degK" ;
               T:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               T:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  T_lpdg(record,lpdg,y,x) ;
               T_lpdg:long_name = "Temperature at layer between levels at
specif. pressure diffs from ground" ;
               T_lpdg:GRIB_parameter_number = 11 ;
               T_lpdg:GRIB_level_flag = 116 ;
               T_lpdg:units = "degK" ;
               T_lpdg:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               T_lpdg:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  T_trop(record,y,x) ;
               T_trop:long_name = "Temperature at tropopause" ;
               T_trop:GRIB_parameter_number = 11 ;
               T_trop:GRIB_level_flag = 7 ;
               T_trop:units = "degK" ;
               T_trop:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               T_trop:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  RH_fhg(record,fhg,y,x) ;
               RH_fhg:long_name = "Relative humidity at fixed height above
ground" ;
               RH_fhg:GRIB_parameter_number = 52 ;
               RH_fhg:GRIB_level_flag = 105 ;
               RH_fhg:units = "percent" ;
               RH_fhg:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               RH_fhg:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  RH(record,level,y,x) ;
               RH:long_name = "Relative humidity at isobaric levels" ;
               RH:GRIB_parameter_number = 52 ;
               RH:GRIB_level_flag = 100 ;
               RH:units = "percent" ;
               RH:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               RH:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  RH_lpdg(record,lpdg,y,x) ;
               RH_lpdg:long_name = "Relative humidity at layer between levels
at specif. pressure diffs from ground" ;
               RH_lpdg:GRIB_parameter_number = 52 ;
               RH_lpdg:GRIB_level_flag = 116 ;
               RH_lpdg:units = "percent" ;
               RH_lpdg:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               RH_lpdg:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  RH_frzlvl(record,y,x) ;
               RH_frzlvl:long_name = "Relative humidity at 0 degree isotherm
level" ;
               RH_frzlvl:GRIB_parameter_number = 52 ;
               RH_frzlvl:GRIB_level_flag = 4 ;
               RH_frzlvl:units = "percent" ;
               RH_frzlvl:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               RH_frzlvl:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  RH_ls(record,ls,y,x) ;
               RH_ls:long_name = "Relative humidity at layer between 2 sigma
levels" ;
               RH_ls:GRIB_parameter_number = 52 ;
               RH_ls:GRIB_level_flag = 108 ;
               RH_ls:units = "percent" ;
               RH_ls:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               RH_ls:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  u_fhg(record,fhg,y,x) ;
               u_fhg:long_name = "u-component of wind at fixed height above
ground" ;
               u_fhg:GRIB_parameter_number = 33 ;
               u_fhg:GRIB_level_flag = 105 ;
               u_fhg:units = "m/s" ;
               u_fhg:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               u_fhg:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  u(record,level,y,x) ;
               u:long_name = "u-component of wind at isobaric levels" ;
               u:GRIB_parameter_number = 33 ;
               u:GRIB_level_flag = 100 ;
               u:units = "m/s" ;
               u:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               u:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  u_lpdg(record,lpdg,y,x) ;
               u_lpdg:long_name = "u-component of wind at layer between levels
at specif. pressure diffs from ground" ;
               u_lpdg:GRIB_parameter_number = 33 ;
               u_lpdg:GRIB_level_flag = 116 ;
               u_lpdg:units = "m/s" ;
               u_lpdg:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               u_lpdg:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  u_trop(record,y,x) ;
               u_trop:long_name = "u-component of wind at tropopause" ;
               u_trop:GRIB_parameter_number = 33 ;
               u_trop:GRIB_level_flag = 7 ;
               u_trop:units = "m/s" ;
               u_trop:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               u_trop:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  u_maxwind(record,y,x) ;
               u_maxwind:long_name = "u-component of wind at maximium wind
speed level" ;
               u_maxwind:GRIB_parameter_number = 33 ;
               u_maxwind:GRIB_level_flag = 6 ;
               u_maxwind:units = "m/s" ;
               u_maxwind:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               u_maxwind:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  v_fhg(record,fhg,y,x) ;
               v_fhg:long_name = "v-component of wind at fixed height above
ground" ;
               v_fhg:GRIB_parameter_number = 34 ;
               v_fhg:GRIB_level_flag = 105 ;
               v_fhg:units = "m/s" ;
               v_fhg:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               v_fhg:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  v(record,level,y,x) ;
               v:long_name = "v-component of wind at isobaric levels" ;
               v:GRIB_parameter_number = 34 ;
               v:GRIB_level_flag = 100 ;
               v:units = "m/s" ;
               v:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               v:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  v_lpdg(record,lpdg,y,x) ;
               v_lpdg:long_name = "v-component of wind at layer between levels
at specif. pressure diffs from ground" ;
               v_lpdg:GRIB_parameter_number = 34 ;
               v_lpdg:GRIB_level_flag = 116 ;
               v_lpdg:units = "m/s" ;
               v_lpdg:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               v_lpdg:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  v_trop(record,y,x) ;
               v_trop:long_name = "v-component of wind at tropopause" ;
               v_trop:GRIB_parameter_number = 34 ;
               v_trop:GRIB_level_flag = 7 ;
               v_trop:units = "m/s" ;
               v_trop:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               v_trop:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  v_maxwind(record,y,x) ;
               v_maxwind:long_name = "v-component of wind at maximium wind
speed level" ;
               v_maxwind:GRIB_parameter_number = 34 ;
               v_maxwind:GRIB_level_flag = 6 ;
               v_maxwind:units = "m/s" ;
               v_maxwind:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               v_maxwind:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  PRECIP(record,y,x) ;
               PRECIP:long_name = "Total precipitation at surface of the earth"
;
               PRECIP:GRIB_parameter_number = 61 ;
               PRECIP:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               PRECIP:units = "kg/m2" ;
               PRECIP:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               PRECIP:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  precip_cn(record,y,x) ;
               precip_cn:long_name = "Convective precipitation at surface of
the earth" ;
               precip_cn:GRIB_parameter_number = 63 ;
               precip_cn:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               precip_cn:units = "kg/m2" ;
               precip_cn:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               precip_cn:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  omega(record,level,y,x) ;
               omega:long_name = "Pressure vertical velocity at isobaric
levels" ;
               omega:GRIB_parameter_number = 39 ;
               omega:GRIB_level_flag = 100 ;
               omega:units = "Pa/s" ;
               omega:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               omega:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  absvor(record,level,y,x) ;
               absvor:long_name = "Absolute vorticity at isobaric levels" ;
               absvor:GRIB_parameter_number = 41 ;
               absvor:GRIB_level_flag = 100 ;
               absvor:units = "1/s" ;
               absvor:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               absvor:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  tke(record,level,y,x) ;
               tke:long_name = "Turbulent kinetic energy at isobaric levels" ;
               tke:GRIB_parameter_number = 158 ;
               tke:GRIB_level_flag = 100 ;
               tke:units = "J/kg" ;
               tke:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               tke:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  T_soil_lbls(record,lbls,y,x) ;
               T_soil_lbls:long_name = "Soil temperature at layer between 2
depths below land surface" ;
               T_soil_lbls:GRIB_parameter_number = 85 ;
               T_soil_lbls:GRIB_level_flag = 112 ;
               T_soil_lbls:units = "degK" ;
               T_soil_lbls:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               T_soil_lbls:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  T_soil_bls(record,bls,y,x) ;
               T_soil_bls:long_name = "Soil temperature at depth below land
surface" ;
               T_soil_bls:GRIB_parameter_number = 85 ;
               T_soil_bls:GRIB_level_flag = 111 ;
               T_soil_bls:units = "degK" ;
               T_soil_bls:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               T_soil_bls:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  soilw_lbls(record,lbls,y,x) ;
               soilw_lbls:long_name = "Volumetric soil moisture content at
layer between 2 depths below land surface" ;
               soilw_lbls:GRIB_parameter_number = 144 ;
               soilw_lbls:GRIB_level_flag = 112 ;
               soilw_lbls:units = "" ;
               soilw_lbls:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               soilw_lbls:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  srf_rn(record,y,x) ;
               srf_rn:long_name = "Surface roughness at surface of the earth" ;
               srf_rn:GRIB_parameter_number = 83 ;
               srf_rn:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               srf_rn:units = "m" ;
               srf_rn:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               srf_rn:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  cd_sfc(record,y,x) ;
               cd_sfc:long_name = "Drag coefficient at surface of the earth" ;
               cd_sfc:GRIB_parameter_number = 252 ;
               cd_sfc:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               cd_sfc:units = "" ;
               cd_sfc:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               cd_sfc:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  sen_ht_sfc(record,y,x) ;
               sen_ht_sfc:long_name = "Sensible heat flux at surface of the
earth" ;
               sen_ht_sfc:GRIB_parameter_number = 122 ;
               sen_ht_sfc:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               sen_ht_sfc:units = "W/m2" ;
               sen_ht_sfc:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               sen_ht_sfc:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  lat_ht_sfc(record,y,x) ;
               lat_ht_sfc:long_name = "Latent heat flux at surface of the
earth" ;
               lat_ht_sfc:GRIB_parameter_number = 121 ;
               lat_ht_sfc:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               lat_ht_sfc:units = "W/m2" ;
               lat_ht_sfc:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               lat_ht_sfc:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  dswrf_sfc(record,y,x) ;
               dswrf_sfc:long_name = "Downward short wave rad. flux at surface
of the earth" ;
               dswrf_sfc:GRIB_parameter_number = 204 ;
               dswrf_sfc:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               dswrf_sfc:units = "W/m2" ;
               dswrf_sfc:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               dswrf_sfc:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  dlwrf_sfc(record,y,x) ;
               dlwrf_sfc:long_name = "Downward long wave rad. flux at surface
of the earth" ;
               dlwrf_sfc:GRIB_parameter_number = 205 ;
               dlwrf_sfc:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               dlwrf_sfc:units = "W/m2" ;
               dlwrf_sfc:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               dlwrf_sfc:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  uswrf_sfc(record,y,x) ;
               uswrf_sfc:long_name = "Upward short wave rad. flux at surface of
the earth" ;
               uswrf_sfc:GRIB_parameter_number = 211 ;
               uswrf_sfc:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               uswrf_sfc:units = "W/m2" ;
               uswrf_sfc:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               uswrf_sfc:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  ulwrf_sfc(record,y,x) ;
               ulwrf_sfc:long_name = "Upward long wave rad. flux at surface of
the earth" ;
               ulwrf_sfc:GRIB_parameter_number = 212 ;
               ulwrf_sfc:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               ulwrf_sfc:units = "W/m2" ;
               ulwrf_sfc:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               ulwrf_sfc:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  bmixl_hybr(record,hybr,y,x) ;
               bmixl_hybr:long_name = "Blackadar's mixing length scale at
hybrid level" ;
               bmixl_hybr:GRIB_parameter_number = 226 ;
               bmixl_hybr:GRIB_level_flag = 109 ;
               bmixl_hybr:units = "m" ;
               bmixl_hybr:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               bmixl_hybr:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  fricv_sfc(record,y,x) ;
               fricv_sfc:long_name = "Friction velocity at surface of the
earth" ;
               fricv_sfc:GRIB_parameter_number = 253 ;
               fricv_sfc:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               fricv_sfc:units = "m/s" ;
               fricv_sfc:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               fricv_sfc:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  pli_lpdg(record,lpdg,y,x) ;
               pli_lpdg:long_name = "Parcel lifted index (to 500 hPa) at layer
between levels at specif. pressure diffs from ground" ;
               pli_lpdg:GRIB_parameter_number = 24 ;
               pli_lpdg:GRIB_level_flag = 116 ;
               pli_lpdg:units = "K" ;
               pli_lpdg:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               pli_lpdg:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  LI4_lpdg(record,lpdg,y,x) ;
               LI4_lpdg:long_name = "Best (4 layer) lifted index at layer
between levels at specif. pressure diffs from ground" ;
               LI4_lpdg:GRIB_parameter_number = 132 ;
               LI4_lpdg:GRIB_level_flag = 116 ;
               LI4_lpdg:units = "degK" ;
               LI4_lpdg:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               LI4_lpdg:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  cape_lpdg(record,lpdg,y,x) ;
               cape_lpdg:long_name = "Convective available potential energy at
layer between levels at specif. pressure diffs from ground" ;
               cape_lpdg:GRIB_parameter_number = 157 ;
               cape_lpdg:GRIB_level_flag = 116 ;
               cape_lpdg:units = "J/kg" ;
               cape_lpdg:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               cape_lpdg:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  cape_sfc(record,y,x) ;
               cape_sfc:long_name = "Convective available potential energy at
surface of the earth" ;
               cape_sfc:GRIB_parameter_number = 157 ;
               cape_sfc:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               cape_sfc:units = "J/kg" ;
               cape_sfc:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               cape_sfc:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  gust_sfc(record,y,x) ;
               gust_sfc:long_name = "Surface wind gust at surface of the earth"
;
               gust_sfc:GRIB_parameter_number = 180 ;
               gust_sfc:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               gust_sfc:units = "m/s" ;
               gust_sfc:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               gust_sfc:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  helc_lfhg(record,lfhg,y,x) ;
               helc_lfhg:long_name = "Storm relative helicity at layer between
2 height levels above ground" ;
               helc_lfhg:GRIB_parameter_number = 190 ;
               helc_lfhg:GRIB_level_flag = 106 ;
               helc_lfhg:units = "m2/s2" ;
               helc_lfhg:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               helc_lfhg:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  vis_sfc(record,y,x) ;
               vis_sfc:long_name = "Visibility at surface of the earth" ;
               vis_sfc:GRIB_parameter_number = 20 ;
               vis_sfc:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               vis_sfc:units = "m" ;
               vis_sfc:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               vis_sfc:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  pr_water_atm(record,y,x) ;
               pr_water_atm:long_name = "Precipitable water at entire
atmosphere considered as a single layer" ;
               pr_water_atm:GRIB_parameter_number = 54 ;
               pr_water_atm:GRIB_level_flag = 200 ;
               pr_water_atm:units = "kg/m2" ;
               pr_water_atm:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               pr_water_atm:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  csnow(record,y,x) ;
               csnow:long_name = "Categorical snow  (yes=1; no=0) at surface of
the earth" ;
               csnow:GRIB_parameter_number = 143 ;
               csnow:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               csnow:units = "bit" ;
               csnow:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               csnow:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  cicepl(record,y,x) ;
               cicepl:long_name = "Categorical ice pellets  (yes=1; no=0) at
surface of the earth" ;
               cicepl:GRIB_parameter_number = 142 ;
               cicepl:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               cicepl:units = "bit" ;
               cicepl:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               cicepl:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  cfrzrn(record,y,x) ;
               cfrzrn:long_name = "Categorical freezing rain  (yes=1; no=0) at
surface of the earth" ;
               cfrzrn:GRIB_parameter_number = 141 ;
               cfrzrn:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               cfrzrn:units = "bit" ;
               cfrzrn:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               cfrzrn:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  crain(record,y,x) ;
               crain:long_name = "Categorical rain  (yes=1; no=0) at surface of
the earth" ;
               crain:GRIB_parameter_number = 140 ;
               crain:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               crain:units = "bit" ;
               crain:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               crain:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  cin_sfc(record,y,x) ;
               cin_sfc:long_name = "Convective inhibition at surface of the
earth" ;
               cin_sfc:GRIB_parameter_number = 156 ;
               cin_sfc:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               cin_sfc:units = "J/kg" ;
               cin_sfc:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               cin_sfc:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  cin_lpdg(record,lpdg,y,x) ;
               cin_lpdg:long_name = "Convective inhibition at layer between
levels at specif. pressure diffs from ground" ;
               cin_lpdg:GRIB_parameter_number = 156 ;
               cin_lpdg:GRIB_level_flag = 116 ;
               cin_lpdg:units = "J/kg" ;
               cin_lpdg:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               cin_lpdg:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  N_atm(record,y,x) ;
               N_atm:long_name = "Total cloud cover at entire atmosphere
considered as a single layer" ;
               N_atm:GRIB_parameter_number = 71 ;
               N_atm:GRIB_level_flag = 200 ;
               N_atm:units = "percent" ;
               N_atm:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               N_atm:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  LI(record,liso,y,x) ;
               LI:long_name = "Surface lifted index at layer between two
isobaric levels" ;
               LI:GRIB_parameter_number = 131 ;
               LI:GRIB_level_flag = 101 ;
               LI:units = "degK" ;
               LI:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               LI:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  land_mask_sfc(record,y,x) ;
               land_mask_sfc:long_name = "Land-sea mask (1=land; 0=sea) at
surface of the earth" ;
               land_mask_sfc:GRIB_parameter_number = 81 ;
               land_mask_sfc:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               land_mask_sfc:units = "bit" ;
               land_mask_sfc:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               land_mask_sfc:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  snow_wat(record,y,x) ;
               snow_wat:long_name = "Water equivalent of accumulated snow depth
at surface of the earth" ;
               snow_wat:GRIB_parameter_number = 65 ;
               snow_wat:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               snow_wat:units = "kg/m2" ;
               snow_wat:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               snow_wat:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  snow(record,y,x) ;
               snow:long_name = "Snow depth at surface of the earth" ;
               snow:GRIB_parameter_number = 66 ;
               snow:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               snow:units = "m" ;
               snow:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               snow:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  csusf_lbls(record,lbls,y,x) ;
               csusf_lbls:long_name = "Clear sky upward solar flux at layer
between 2 depths below land surface" ;
               csusf_lbls:GRIB_parameter_number = 160 ;
               csusf_lbls:GRIB_level_flag = 112 ;
               csusf_lbls:units = "W/m2" ;
               csusf_lbls:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               csusf_lbls:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  snmr_sfc(record,y,x) ;
               snmr_sfc:long_name = "Snow water mixing ratio at surface of the
earth" ;
               snmr_sfc:GRIB_parameter_number = 171 ;
               snmr_sfc:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               snmr_sfc:units = "kg/kg" ;
               snmr_sfc:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               snmr_sfc:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  tsd1d_sfc(record,y,x) ;
               tsd1d_sfc:long_name = "Std. Dev. of IR T over 1x1 deg area at
surface of the earth" ;
               tsd1d_sfc:GRIB_parameter_number = 219 ;
               tsd1d_sfc:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               tsd1d_sfc:units = "K" ;
               tsd1d_sfc:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               tsd1d_sfc:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  gpt_hgt5_sfc(record,y,x) ;
               gpt_hgt5_sfc:long_name = "5-wave geopotential height at surface
of the earth" ;
               gpt_hgt5_sfc:GRIB_parameter_number = 222 ;
               gpt_hgt5_sfc:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               gpt_hgt5_sfc:units = "gp m" ;
               gpt_hgt5_sfc:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               gpt_hgt5_sfc:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  sotyp_sfc(record,y,x) ;
               sotyp_sfc:long_name = "Soil type (as in Zobler) at surface of
the earth" ;
               sotyp_sfc:GRIB_parameter_number = 224 ;
               sotyp_sfc:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               sotyp_sfc:units = "1" ;
               sotyp_sfc:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               sotyp_sfc:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  vgtyp_sfc(record,y,x) ;
               vgtyp_sfc:long_name = "Vegitation type (as in SiB) at surface of
the earth" ;
               vgtyp_sfc:GRIB_parameter_number = 225 ;
               vgtyp_sfc:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               vgtyp_sfc:units = "1" ;
               vgtyp_sfc:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               vgtyp_sfc:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  gpt_hgta5_sfc(record,y,x) ;
               gpt_hgta5_sfc:long_name = "5-wave geopotential height anomaly at
surface of the earth" ;
               gpt_hgta5_sfc:GRIB_parameter_number = 230 ;
               gpt_hgta5_sfc:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               gpt_hgta5_sfc:units = "gp m" ;
               gpt_hgta5_sfc:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               gpt_hgta5_sfc:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  mflux_sfc(record,y,x) ;
               mflux_sfc:long_name = "Convective cloud mass flux at surface of
the earth" ;
               mflux_sfc:GRIB_parameter_number = 231 ;
               mflux_sfc:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               mflux_sfc:units = "Pa/s" ;
               mflux_sfc:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               mflux_sfc:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  sno_cvr(record,y,x) ;
               sno_cvr:long_name = "Snow cover at surface of the earth" ;
               sno_cvr:GRIB_parameter_number = 238 ;
               sno_cvr:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               sno_cvr:units = "percent" ;
               sno_cvr:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               sno_cvr:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  covtw_sfc(record,y,x) ;
               covtw_sfc:long_name = "Covariance between temperature and
vertical component of the wind at surface of the earth" ;
               covtw_sfc:GRIB_parameter_number = 240 ;
               covtw_sfc:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               covtw_sfc:units = "K*m/s" ;
               covtw_sfc:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               covtw_sfc:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  mstr_avl_lbls(record,lbls,y,x) ;
               mstr_avl_lbls:long_name = "Moisture availability at layer
between 2 depths below land surface" ;
               mstr_avl_lbls:GRIB_parameter_number = 207 ;
               mstr_avl_lbls:GRIB_level_flag = 112 ;
               mstr_avl_lbls:units = "%" ;
               mstr_avl_lbls:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               mstr_avl_lbls:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  soil_mst_lbls(record,lbls,y,x) ;
               soil_mst_lbls:long_name = "Soil moisture content at layer
between 2 depths below land surface" ;
               soil_mst_lbls:GRIB_parameter_number = 86 ;
               soil_mst_lbls:GRIB_level_flag = 112 ;
               soil_mst_lbls:units = "kg/m2" ;
               soil_mst_lbls:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               soil_mst_lbls:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  c_wat(record,y,x) ;
               c_wat:long_name = "Plant canopy surface water at surface of the
earth" ;
               c_wat:GRIB_parameter_number = 223 ;
               c_wat:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               c_wat:units = "kg/m2" ;
               c_wat:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               c_wat:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  veg(record,y,x) ;
               veg:long_name = "Vegetation at surface of the earth" ;
               veg:GRIB_parameter_number = 87 ;
               veg:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               veg:units = "percent" ;
               veg:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               veg:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  ice_conc(record,y,x) ;
               ice_conc:long_name = "Ice concentration (ice=l; no ice=O) at
surface of the earth" ;
               ice_conc:GRIB_parameter_number = 91 ;
               ice_conc:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               ice_conc:units = "bit" ;
               ice_conc:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               ice_conc:navigation = "nav" ;

        float  albedo_sfc(record,y,x) ;
               albedo_sfc:long_name = "Albedo at surface of the earth" ;
               albedo_sfc:GRIB_parameter_number = 84 ;
               albedo_sfc:GRIB_level_flag = 1 ;
               albedo_sfc:units = "percent" ;
               albedo_sfc:_FillValue = -9999.f ;
               albedo_sfc:navigation = "nav" ;

// global attributes
               :history = "2004-12-23 11:08:11 - created by gribtocdl" ;
               :title = "Enter model definition here" ;
               :Conventions = "NUWG" ;
               :GRIB_reference = "Office Note 388 GRIB" ;
               :GRIB_URL = "http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/docs/on388/"; ;
               :version = 0.0 ;

data:

 fhg = 2.0, 10.0 ;
 level = 1000.0, 975.0, 950.0, 925.0, 900.0, 875.0, 850.0, 825.0, 800.0, 775.0,
      750.0, 725.0, 700.0, 675.0, 650.0, 625.0, 600.0, 575.0, 550.0, 525.0,
      500.0, 475.0, 450.0, 425.0, 400.0, 375.0, 350.0, 325.0, 300.0, 275.0,
      250.0, 225.0, 200.0, 175.0, 150.0, 125.0, 100.0, 75.0, 50.0 ;
 lbls_bot = 10.0, 40.0, 100.0, 200.0, 100.0, 200.0 ;
 lbls_top = 0.0, 10.0, 40.0, 100.0, 0.0, 0.0 ;
 hybr = 1.0 ;
 lpdg_bot = 0.0, 30.0, 60.0, 90.0, 120.0, 150.0, 0.0 ;
 lpdg_top = 30.0, 60.0, 90.0, 120.0, 150.0, 180.0, 180.0 ;
 lfhg_bot = 0.0 ;
 lfhg_top = 30.0 ;
 ls_bot = 100.0 ;
 ls_top = 33.0 ;
 liso_bot = 100.0 ;
 liso_top = 50.0 ;
 bls = 300.0 ;
 model_id = 84 ;
 valtime_offset = 6, 12 ;

 // Navigation
 nav_model = "GRIB1" ;
 grid_type_code = 3 ;
 grid_type = "Lambert conformal projection" ;
 grid_name = " " ;
 grid_center = 7 ;
 grid_number = 255 ;
 x_dim = "x" ;