RE: ldm decoder

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Tom Baltzer wrote:

> Hi again Charlie,
>
> I'm glad to hear that we're seeing the same things now and you've got metar
> data coming in as netCDF files.
>
> You're right that metar2nc is a nontrivial script about which I know little
> at this juncture.  METAR form is pretty darned cryptic, but I know that some
> information about METAR can be obtained here:
>
> http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/staff/awilson/public/LEAD/dataDesc/index.
> html
>
> It has references to documents that describe the form in more detail.
>
> I've cc'd Rob Kambic, our local decoders expert who developed the metar2nc
> script. Any insight/suggestions as to how to best/most quickly understand
> the metar2nc script Robb?

Hiya,

Official METAR web site: http://metar.noaa.gov

Doesn't include the manual on how to decode a metar, one has to buy the
manual. I have a copy of the manual and some other hard copy printed
documentation if one would like it.

Another method would be to look up METAR decoder using google.

Robb...