Re: Sample GFS 1x1 deg cdl

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Jim Cowie wrote:

> Brian,
>
> I've attached a sample CDL for the NCEP GFS 1x1 deg grid (AKA grid 3)
> which we get off the NCEP ftp server. I don't know if it will work with
> what comes through AWIPS but it is a start. I also have CDLs for the
> GFS 2.5x2.5 grid (grid 2) and the Eta 211 grid if you want them.
>
> The gfs_003.cdl has most or all of the fields defined but many commented
> out since we don't use them. Also note that though we use gribtonc, we
> had to make a few changes to it to handle some of the time averaged
> or time accumulated variables better. gribtonc doesn't handle these
> very well. (We're hoping that the new gribtonc, currently under
> development at Unidata, will.)

Jim,

Thanks for responding to the email. I'm curious about what time
averages/variables are you talking about? DOn't want to skip it in the new
gribtonc.  I haven't worked on the new decoder for the past 2 months,
other stuff but I've put it back on the agenda near the top. I've decoded
the National Digital Forcast DB stuff but I'm working on the eta in grib2
that has png compression.

Robb...