Re: IS IT THE AVN OR GFS OR MRF OR ....? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 09 Apr 2003 00:08:10 -0400
From: Dan Vietor <address@hidden>
To: Tom Grzelak <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: IS IT THE AVN OR GFS OR MRF OR ....?

On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 20:31, Tom Grzelak wrote:

> I have a question that I hope to gain consensus on.  In speaking with a
> friend from NCEP over winter break, he kept reminding me on how the AVN was
> now called the GFS.  Is it truly the same model?  Also, is the MRF now also
> considered the GFS.

Technically, NCEP eliminated the MRF model 12 months ago.  At the same
time, they added resolution to the AVN and named it the GFS.  Currently,
NCEP still uses the old model designations in the GRIB files.  If you
look at the MRF grids out to 5 days, they match the equivalent AVN
grids.  So there is overlap.

I've gone to naming the grids GFS/AVN and GFS/MRF for both forward and
backward compatibility.

Daniel Vietor               Mail: address@hidden
Unisys Corp                 Title: Engineer/Meteorologist
221 Gale Lane               Phone: 610-925-5206
Kennett Square PA 19348     Fax: 610-925-5215