Re: gribtonc question

On Sat, 17 May 2003, [iso-8859-1] "Mathias D. Müller" wrote:

> it works now!!!!!!!!!

Mathias,

Great

> i had to compile udunits and netcdf library.
>
> i will have to retune the cdl file or create a tab-file (is there a utility
> for the tab file?)

Noop, has to be created by hand. But there is a utility to make the cdl
called gribtocdl.  There's man pages.

> data in the netcdf looks good, but some 3d fields are now stored twice in
> the same variable by adding a 4 th dimension
>
> e.g. [x,y,z,2] where [x,y,z,0] is the data which is perfect and [x,y,z,1]
> is all -9999
> anyhow it just wastes a lot of space, but the data is fine.

I think it's the way you created the cdl. gribtonc creates the space
before hand using the supplied cdl. So if you have [x,y,z,2], then
NetCDF will create [x,y,z,0] and [x,y,z,1]. Since [x,y,z,1] is all missing
data values maybe your dimensions need rearranged, ie [x,y,z,1].  Since I
don't know your  data format my suggestion could be wrong. The main point is
the space for the NetCDF file is allocated all at once for each new
unlimited dimension variable (usually the record variable)

> the 4 mb grib file is now a 80 mb netcdf, but i can read it much faster
> with the idl programming language and it only takes about a second to
> create the nc-file. that is awesome.
> do you know how i could read the grib file directly with idl as efficient
> as your decoder works?

noop, grid is mainly a packing/transportation format.

Robb...