Re: cdl file for eta ST

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Todd Fake wrote:

> Rob,
>
>   I am participating in a major, multi-institutional research
> project to develop a coastal observing system here on the east coast.  A
> critical component of the modeling effort is applying appropriate
> atmospheric
> forcing.  As an archived operational product, the NCEP Eta
> model is particularly attractive to us, but we are having surprising and
> unexpected trouble using it.
>
>   Based on its apparent ease of use, we chose a few months ago to use
> the gribtonc utility to convert the grib output to a format we can work
> with.
> We were under the impression that this was produced and supported by
> Unidata.
> While we've been successful at translating some fields (e.g., 10 m
> winds) from
> the Eta model output, we are critically short on others (e.g., Downward
> Short
> Wave Radiative flux) for which we have an IMMEDIATE need.  The problem
> is
> generating appropriate lines for the eta.cdl file supplied on your ftp
> server.
>
>   Does Unidata support gribtonc?

Todd,

First, I been out of town for the last 5 days, just getting caught up
here.

I answered your question about how to approach the problem on Jul 10,
2001.  ie:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/decoders/434

>   If so,
>     Can we get assistance on it?

If you have particular questions I would be more than willing to answer
them.  I do not have the time to write the eta ST cdl file for you as I'm
involved with many projects.  Have your tried the procedures stated in the
first email?  If so what are the obstacles?  If you run against a problem
be sure to sent the log informations and a short part of the raw file.
I'm sure if you do some research on the structure of the cdl files you
will begin to understand the structure of them.  I would have to follow
the same procedures stated in the previous email about creating at cdl.

Robb...