Re: nctogrib

On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Christopher G. Scannell wrote:

> Robb,
>
> My name is Christopher Scannell.  I'm working at the Naval Research
> Laboratory in Washington, DC.  I'm trying to use a product called
> TAOS (http://www.tec.army.mil/TAOS/) which is capable of reading
> GRIB and bufr format files.  However,  the most important environmental
> data I need TAOS to ingest (TAOS is the Total Atmosphere-Ocean Server
> and serves environmental parameters to Simulations) is in netCDF
> format.
>
> Is there any way I can convert a netCDF file to a GRIB file??
> I understand there is a tool to convert from GRIB to netCDF called
> gribtonc.  What I need is the reverse, i.e. nctogrib.

Christopher,

This is the first request to translate netCDF to GRIB, I don't think there
will be a large need in the future.  The best advice I can give is to
write your own translator.  I would use the netCDF library calls to
extract the information (info about netCDF on unidata web page )and the
routines at wesley NOAA
http://wesley.wwb.noaa.gov/gribw.html
to create the grib file. Good luck in your endeavor.

Robb...