Re: Re[2]: 19991216: NetCDF perl distribution

On 16 Dec 1999, Ken Waters wrote:

> Thanks, Robb.
>
> I guess I'm confused.  From what I saw on the webpage, the only thing
> that is supposed to be required for the Perl/netcdf library is to have
> a version of Perl (5.003+) and the netcdf library.  I didn't see any
> mention on there of also requiring "udunits" and "decoders" as well.

Ken,

I added the udunits and decoders because one needs the udunits to build
the decoders package and the decoders package contains netCDF perl
examples in the perl decoders.  The netcdf-perl package is on the complex
side, it's not very forgiving and the documentation is limited.

> Also, there is no link to download those two units on the NetCDF/Perl
> page.  Why would it be necessary to have decoders to install a
> NetCDF/Perl library?  My goal in all this is to use Perl to read grid
> point values out of existing netCDF model output stored on our AWIPS.
> Sorry for asking so many questions but I guess I'm just not getting
> it.  Thanks.

I guess if you are familar with the netcdf then the decoders package is
not necessary.  There are other examples in the decoders archive search.

Good luck,
Robb...