Re: 19990127: grib to netcdf

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Melissa Richey wrote:

> Hi Robb-
>
> I have run gribtonc on a few files using the ruc2.cdl file. When
> I use ncdump on the new netcdf file, no variables have been
> degribbed- the output is basically what was in the original cdl file.

Missy,

Is the raw grid file a ruc2 file?

Run gribtonc in verbose mode with the messages to the screen, ie

% gribtonc -vl - ruc2.cdl ruc2.nc < ruc2.raw

This should show the details.  If you send a sample of the output, I can
help get you started.

Also, you can use gribdump to show the contents of the raw grib file.

%gribdump grid.raw | more

The grib documentation is located at:

> The GRIB document (Office Note 388) dated
> March 10, 1998 in ftp://nic.fb4.noaa.gov/pub/doc/nws/nmc/gribed1.
>
> It also located on : www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/chiz/grib

Robb...