[Egrants #CHU-145715]: Query about HPC in the cloud

> Hello,

Hello George,

> This question may be off-topic for your operation, but I wonder if you might
> be able to
> give some references.   I'm adjunct faculty at The Atmospheric Sciences Dept
> at Lyndon
> State College, and we have been running the WRF model on a modest domain for
> many years
> now,  results being used for student education and for several projects.  Our
> aging
> clusters have become unstable, and we are trying to get information on HPC
> computing in
> the cloud.  Does Unidata have some product that assists in such an endeavor?
> We would
> run small to modest size simulations, and would require on the order of at
> least 80
> cores, so fast interconnect between nodes would be important (our clusters
> used myrinet
> and infiniband).  We have several 8-core Linux machines in the department to
> use as
> development machines, and I wonder if you have some 'cloud simulation'
> software that
> enables speedy development.   We are novices at cloud computing, and any
> references or
> pointers to resources would be much appreciated.

No, we have not created any cloud simulation software for development. We do
have some expertise in
implementation in the cloud, how to containerize WRF, data access for
initialization, and compute in the cloud
if you desire any info in that realm.

> We are also interested in products that enable 'network-based' 3D graphics.
> By that I
> mean create 3D images with an application such as IDV or CWT on a remote
> server (cloud?)
> and display on a local browser.  Does Unidata have a product that enables
> such a display,
> and with good performance?

Yes! We have developed Cloudstream as part of our cloudsuite and more info can
be found here:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/#cloudsuite

To summarize: Cloudstream can use most any application and wrap that output in
a browser (i.e the IDV) and/or
run in the cloud and generate products that can be pushed to a web site and
viewed by a browser when interactivity is not needed or desired. One can bring
up whatever sized instance in the cloud is needed for the task to be completed
in a timely manner.

This is new, but it has proven quite useful already. Please let us know if you
would like to explore this option more fully and would like any help doing so.

> Thank you in advance.
>
> George Loriot
>
> Atmospheric Sciences
> Lyndon State College