[Datastream #EQR-357100]: Forward of moderated message

Hi Dave,

I drove your post to the address@hidden email list into our inquiry
tracking system for a direct response.

re:
> We have noticed that our UNIWISC feeds seem to be running up to 30 minutes
> behind the
> product creation time.  Our weather station people are annoyed the imagery is
> so late.
>
> For example, the line shown below is from an `ldmadmin watch -f UNIWISC`
> command showing
> a GOES-13 image:
>
> 20170328T141114.365590Z pqutil[29006] INFO pqutil.c:1181:display_watch()
> 741505 20170328141111.455496 UNIWISC 000  pnga2area Q3 UE 1231 GOES-13_IMG
> 13.3um 4km 20170328 1345

This shows that you received the image about 3 minutes after it was created:

20170328T141114.365590 - 20170328141111.455496 ~= 2.9 minutes

In LDM terms, the creation time for a product is the time that it was
first inserted into an LDM queue.

re:
> This shows we got the image at 1411, and was sent to us from our upstream
> site only a
> few seconds earlier.  But the image time is for 1345.

Yes, but 13:45 is not the creation time for the product, it is the nominal
time for the image.

re:
> Is anyone else seeing this, and is this a normal lag between image creation
> and dissemination?

Everyone should be seeing this, and it represents a "normal" but not optimal
lag.
The real problem is that the UNIWISC images are created by cron-initiated jobs
whose initiation times can be tweaked a bit, but not too drastically as they
have
to match when the products are fully available on the ADDE servers that they are
gotten from.

By the way, given that the ADDE servers are open, a really interested site could
setup their own jobs that create sectors of most interest to their use and
bypass
the LDM/IDD distribution system altogether.  This will be one of the primary
ways that we are intending on making GOES-R/S data available to our community
(ADDE and TDS, that is).

Ticket ID: EQR-357100
Department: Support Datastream