[Datastream #RPP-204292]: Question about NEXRAD national composite data

> Dear Sir or Madam.

Hello Munsung,

> Good afternoon.
>
> I am a student of the University of Iowa, and I am writing this email
> to ask you about the NEXRAD national composite data.

Great, we have done much work with U of Iowa, including the HYDRO-NEXRAD project

> As I know, Unidata provides the NEXRAD national composite data through
> THREDDS server.  However, it only provides past 21-day data.

Yes, we are not an archive center, we deliver real time data, and provide a
short archive for ease of access.

> Now, I would like to use the whole data (1995 ~ present), as a first step,
> for Iowa state for my research.

We do not have an archive of the older data, however, IIHR at U of Iowa has had
a long time feed and I believe they have kept an archive of the individual
radars
not the mosaic. Do you have a contact at the IIHR on the U of Iowa campus? If
not, you should contact Anton Krueger, he can inform on the data they have.

> So, I am wondering if you can provide historical data as well.

No

> Could you help me for this problem?  Your help will be really valuable
> for me.

Also, as part of the Big Data Project, ALL level II RADAR data from
1992-present is available in the AWS cloud. So, one could create an instance in
the same zone as the collection
and then re-create the mosaics..or grab the radars of interest for the time
desired.

The TDS (THREDDS Data Server) sitting on top of the collection can be found at:

http://thredds-aws.unidata.ucar.edu/thredds/catalog.html

and more info about the project and data access can be found at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/blogs/news/entry/nexrad-archive-data-available-on

> I will wait for your reply.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Best,
>
> Munsung Keem

Hope this helps, please follow up with any further questions you may have.

Jeff

Jeff Weber
Unidata User Support
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu