[Datastream #RLI-863228]: wget download header error

> Dear Unidata:

Hi Larry,

> We download gfs 0.5 degree model data through conduit twice daily to
> support a volcanic ash dispersal program that is used by about two dozen
> groups around the world to forecast movement of volcanic ash during
> eruptions.

...and a great service you and the VAAC's provide!

> We download using a wget command in a shell script, initiated by a cron
> entry.  Yesterday I updated the script to incorporate your new filenames.
> So the command to get today's wind file, forecast hour f00, for example, is:
>
> ******************************************************************************************************
> wget
> http://motherlode.ucar.edu/native/conduit/data/nccf/com/gfs/prod//gfs.2015011512/gfs.t12z.pgrb2.0p50.f000
> ******************************************************************************************************
>
> After revising the script I tested it and found that the server takes
> forever (about 12 minutes) from the time the wget command is received until
> the download starts.  The delay occurs after the ". . . " on the following
> line:
>
> ******************************************************************************************************
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... Read error (Connection timed out)
> in headers.
> Retrying.
> ******************************************************************************************************
>
> Is there anything we need to change in the wget command to avoid this delay?

Has this persisted, we have hit the server with some of our own wget scripts,
and all seems ok now.
We suspect you may have hit the server after the 18Z change for filenames and
the server was re-indexing the new
GRIB files....if your problem persists, then we can throw out that hypothesis!

> The full screen message that accompanies the download is below.  Any help
> would be appreciated.

Has the problem been corrected, or does it still persist for you?

> Thanks,
>
> Larry Mastin
>

> ******************************************************************************************************
> wget
> http://motherlode.ucar.edu/native/conduit/data/nccf/com/gfs/prod//gfs.2015011512/gfs.t12z.pgrb2.0p50.f000
> --2015-01-15 08:46:25--
> http://motherlode.ucar.edu/native/conduit/data/nccf/com/gfs/prod//gfs.2015011512/gfs.t12z.pgrb2.0p50.f000
> Resolving motherlode.ucar.edu (motherlode.ucar.edu)... 128.117.114.119
> Connecting to motherlode.ucar.edu (motherlode.ucar.edu)|128.117.114.119|:80...
> connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... Read error (Connection timed out)
> in headers.
> Retrying.
>
> --2015-01-15 09:01:26--  (try: 2)
> http://motherlode.ucar.edu/native/conduit/data/nccf/com/gfs/prod//gfs.2015011512/gfs.t12z.pgrb2.0p50.f000
> Connecting to motherlode.ucar.edu (motherlode.ucar.edu)|128.117.114.119|:80...
> connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
> Length: 59733508 (57M) [text/plain]
> Saving to: ‘gfs.t12z.pgrb2.0p50.f000’
>
> 100%[======================================================================================>]
> 59,733,508  2.14MB/s   in 29s
>
> 2015-01-15 09:01:55 (2.00 MB/s) - ‘gfs.t12z.pgrb2.0p50.f000’ saved
> [59733508/59733508]
> ******************************************************************************************************
>

> --
> U.S. Geological Survey
> David A. Johnston Cascades Volcano Observatory
> 1300 SE Cardinal Court, Bldg. 10, Suite 100
> Vancouver, WA 98683 USA
> tel. (360) 993-8925
> fax (360) 993-8980

Cheers,