[Datastream #ZTC-153119]: lead.unidata.ucar.edu Inventory Fragmented

> Hello Support:

Hello Gary,

> The radar archive at lead.unidata.ucar.edu certainly appeared attractive
> for use in radar algorithm performance analysis since it contains
> months of scan data.  Unfortunately, we discovered many NIDS files
> of all types missing from the inventory, which is very fragmented.
> The missing files are not intermittent -- they are everywhere
> throughout the entire inventory (example given below).  Sometimes there
> is a one hour gap or more when there is no data for a given product.
> The more limited archive (time-wise) at motherlode.ucar.edu is flawless
> and has no gaps in the inventory.  It, however, only goes back 21 days.
>
> I was wondering whether this issue could be resolved with
> lead.unidata.ucar.edu?  Having complete NIDS data on line is a tremendous
> value in researching past storms versus having to pull the data from the
> NCDC inventory which is time consuming and complicates data processing.
> It would be VERY beneficial to the research community.

Yes, we are aware of the issues around the "lead.unidata.ucar.edu"

We are using "excess" hardware to create the lead cluster, and it has gone "up
and down" far more than we would like!

We do not have the financial resources to purchase new hardware for this
service, so re-using hardware from a past project
to have a longer running archive is our available option. Hopefully most of the
kinks have been ironed out of this clustered system and we will experience
uptime similar to our "motherlode" machine..that is our goal.

Apologies for the lack of completeness currently available from the "lead"
archive, we are striving to keep it solid!

We understand is is a preferred option to pulling from the archive at NCDC.

Are you aware of the archive IEM/ISU is maintaining? They ~may have a more
complete longer term archive.

It can be found at:

http://mesonet-longterm.agron.iastate.edu/archive/nexrad/

..or the top level page:

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/archive/

..this may be a valuable resource for you as well.

Hope this helps, we are striving for the best possible uptime on all our
systems :)

Cheers,

Jeff

> Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
>
> Gary Fritz
> Dubois County Skywarn (Indiana)
> 812-309-2662
>
> EXAMPLE OF MISSING NIDS FILES
> Level3_VWX_N0S_20141018_0000.nids
> Level3_VWX_N0S_20141018_0010.nids
> Level3_VWX_N0S_20141018_0019.nids
> Level3_VWX_N0S_20141018_0031.nids
> Level3_VWX_N0S_20141018_0041.nids
> Level3_VWX_N0S_20141018_0051.nids
> Level3_VWX_N0S_20141018_0101.nids
> Level3_VWX_N0S_20141018_0110.nids (SKIPPED 0120, 0130, 0140)
> Level3_VWX_N0S_20141018_0149.nids
> Level3_VWX_N0S_20141018_0159.nids
> Level3_VWX_N0S_20141018_0209.nids
> Level3_VWX_N0S_20141018_0219.nids
> Level3_VWX_N0S_20141018_0229.nids (SKIPPED 0229, 0238, 0248)
> Level3_VWX_N0S_20141018_0258.nids (SKIPPED 0308, 0317, 0327, 0337, 0347, 0357)
> Level3_VWX_N0S_20141018_0406.nids

Jeff Weber
Unidata User Support
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu