[Datastream #HIG-707765]: Problems with neartime archive

Hi Kwan,

re:
> Happy fourth of July!

The same to you too!

re:
> I am checking the online unidata archive to see if I can retrieve
> 1km NEXRCOMP and local radar for Arthur.

The archive you are referring to is for image sectors that are distributed
in the IDD UNIWISC (aka MCIDAS) datastream.  This archive has never and still
does not contain the NEXRAD Level III composites that we create and distribute
in the IDD FNEXRAD datastream.

re:
> When I got to
> http://unidata2-new.ssec.wisc.edu/decoded/mcidas/NEXRCOMP/1KN0R-FLT/,
> I saw that the directory was empty.

The floating sector has not been created for a number of years, so it
is no surprise that the directory into which they would be written
if received is empty.

re:
> Are the radar images not archived at all?

Not by Unidata.  Our motherlode-class servers, however, typically
have about 30 days of the images online.  If you check again, you will
see that there is data for the non-floater products.

NB: the machine unidata2-new.ssec.wisc.edu (aka idd.ssec.wisc.edu,
adde.ssec.wisc.edu) experienced a problem that forced us to suspend
filing of all IDD-relayed data while the RAID was rebuilt.  This
shutdown resulted in a loss of images during the shutdown period.
The other motherlode-class servers have the data that was missed
by unidata2-new, however.

re:
> Are they archived somewhere else?

Perhaps someone in the community is archiving the Level III composites.
The images that span Arthur's approach and landfall, however, should
be available on the motherlode-class servers that we run (with the
exception noted above).

re:
> Thanks again for your help.

No worries.

I am curious: are you no longer with NOAA?  The email address you
are using is a yahoo.com one...

Ticket ID: HIG-707765
Department: Support Datastream