[Datastream #HIG-707765]: Problems with neartime archive

Hi Kwan,

re:
> Long time no chat!

Yes, it certainly has been a LONG time.  I hope you are doing well and
are happy!

re:
> Thank you for the updates.  I will wait for the final decision then.

OK, access to the 'neartime' part of the rolling Unidata-Wisconsin
archive are now up on unidata2-new.ssec.wisc.edu.  The holdings
are still user name/password protected exactly like the FTP access
on unidata2 was.

Please note that the more recent days of the rolling archive have
LOTS more images than previously.  The reason for this is that the
contents of the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream were upgraded when
we moved the product generation off of unidata2 and onto a
64-bit CentOS VM instance in Amazon's EC2 West cloud.

re:
> I really appreciate your helps and services all these years on
> McIDAS and Unidata.

No worries.

re:
> I wonder if you have tested running McIDAS on Windows 8 systems,
> and if you have gained some wisdom on doing that.

I have not run McIDAS-X under any flavor of Windows for a long time.
Instead, I run VMware Player on my Windows 7 laptop (I7, 8 GB RAM,
AMD video system), and I run a 64-bit CentOS VM in Player.  In fact
this is my McIDAS development system, and it goes everywhere I go.
I like this approach MUCH more than running McIDAS-X in Windows
itself as I can keep the Linux and Windows sides of my brain
separate :-)

re:
> This is like meeting an old friend who I haven't seen for a long time.

It sure is!

Ticket ID: HIG-707765
Department: Support Datastream