[Datastream #VQU-358838]: IR satellite imagery archive files compatible with GARP/Gempak

Hi Doug,

I apologize for not being able to get to your inquiry before now...

re:
> I was directed to you as somebody who might know how I might gain access
> to archived GOES IR satellite imagery in data files that are compatible
> for use/viewing in GEMPAK and GARP. Do you know of an available resource
> online for having access to such data?

Yes, there are two resources one of which is online but requires registration
and the other of which is offline and so requires reloading into an online
store.

re:
> I'm interested in accessing
> imagery for the 0000 UTC 18 Dec - 0000 UTC 21 Dec 2009 period available
> from GOES-EAST.

If you are looking for the GOES-East sectors that were sent in the
Unidata-Wisconsin datastream (IDD feedtype UNIWISC aka MCIDAS), then
you can request that the data be reloaded onto a machine from which
you can then FTP it.  Here are details:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

  Data Archived Data Access
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/index.html#archived

    UNIWISC IDD Datastream
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/unirec.html

The procedure is that you send an email to the folks in the UW/SSEC
Data Center <address@hidden> and request that the data for
the days you are interested in be made available for download by
FTP.  They are likely to tell you that you need to get the FTP
access credentials from us, so I will short circuit the process
by giving them to you here:

machine:   unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu
user:      xxxxx
pass:      xxxxx
directory: urequest/<daily directory>

These images are all in McIDAS AREA format, so they are directly
usable in GEMPAK/GARP.

The other option also involves getting data from the SSEC Data
Center and was described in a Unidata News Update on 01 February 2013:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

  News @ Unidata
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/blogs/news/

Currently, the article describing the service is on page 21 of our
News archives (this will, of course, change as new stories are
added to News @ Unidata):

Free Satellite Archive Data Access for the Unidata Academic Community
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/blogs/news/entry/free_satellite_archive_data_access

re:
> Thank you in advance for any information that you can provide!

No worries.  Again, I apologize for the slowness of this reply.

Ticket ID: VQU-358838
Department: Support Datastream