[Datastream #LTL-696696]: RE: NEXRAD Level II Data

Hi Paul,

re:
> My name is Paul McCrone, and I understand that you have Level 2 NEXRAD
> data files in near real time:
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/index.html#radar
>
> Is this still true?

Yes, we are still a top level re-distributor of the NEXRAD Level 2 data.

re:
> If so , I'd like to know if it is possible to set up a data distribution
> from Unidata to us at FNMOC (the US Navy's Fleet Numerical Meteorology
> and Oceanography Center, in Monterey CA).

Yes, this is easily done.

re:
> Is it possible to obtain the level 2 data files from you in near real
> time?

Yes.

re:
> Via what method/protocol (http/sftp etc)?

We distribute the data using our LDM software.  This software would need
to be installed on a machine at Fleet Numerical and then configured to
REQUEST the Level 2 data that is desired.

In case you didn't already know, someone in Fleet Numerical is already
running the LDM to distribute the FNMOC numerical data to the Unidata
community.

re:
> Is there a cost involved?

No, the service is free.

re:
> Are there admin procedures to follow in order to initiate this?

Yes, you will need to install the LDM on a *nix (Unix/Linux) machine
at your site.  This machine will need to be able to request data
from one or more upstream LDMs.  This, in turn, means that the
firewall at your Fleet Numerical installation will need to allow
outbound requests through port 388.  This may or may not be an
issue for your installation; please check with  your system administrator(s)
to see what the hurdles may be.

re:
> Thanks for your advice. Happy New Year.

No worries, and a Happy New Year to you too!

Ticket ID: LTL-696696
Department: Support Datastream