[Datastream #RAX-577961]: Questions about Lightning Data

Hi Tom,

re:
> My name is Tom Schlosser and I am working with Travelers Insurance and
> I am compiling a Geospatial Data Set Repository.

re:
> I am curious to know if your what formats your data is in?

The formats of the two different sources of lightning data are described in
our lightning data pages:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

  Data -> Lightning Data
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/index.html#lightning

    North American Precision Lightning Network (NAPLN)
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/lightning/napln.html

    Global Lightning Network (GLN)
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/lightning/gln.html

    National Lightning Data Network (NLDN)
    https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/lightning/nldn.html

(The NAPLN and GLN data share the same ASCII formats.)

re:
> How often is it updated?

The data are distributed in near real-time via LDM-to-LDM
transactions.

re:
> And how long does the data span back for?

The providers of the data (WSI for NAPLN/GLN/USPLN and Vaisala for
NLDN) presumably have extensive archives of the data.  We, the
Unidata Program Center/UCAR do not maintain an archive of the
data, and, even if we did, usage licensing for the data prohibit
us from sharing it with users outside of our organization.

Comment:

It may be more useful for you to work with the data providers
to learn more about the data that they provide free-of-charge
to U.S. university participants of Unidata.  Contact information
can be found in the data pages referenced above.

re:
> Thanks for your help in advance.

No worries.

Ticket ID: RAX-577961