[Datastream #DKY-639434]: Level III NexRad Archive (Intermittent)

Hi Gary,

re:
> Your response is greatly appreciated.  In support of our Skywarn operations
> I spent months of research creating software which reads WSR-88d binary
> files, including 0.5 deg bref, srm, and cc, and locates rotational couplets
> associated with tornado activity.   The software which performs this
> function resides on our Skywarn server.  The process used is very similar to
> that used by NOAA's Weather & Climate Toolkit.  Using a graphical user
> interface, the directory of the WSR-88d files is read providing a list and
> we select a time stamp of interest.  Once selected, the software downloads
> (via http) the associated NOQ, NOS, and NOC files and graphically renders
> the results on a viewer which also indicates whether any low level rotations
> or tornado debris signatures were detected.   Our analysis of a past event
> may involve reviewing dozens of images from vicinity NexRad sites.  Research
> to date has shown very close correlation between rotational couplets and
> actual paths of damage.

If you were being feed the Level III products via the IDD, you could skip the
step you describe as:

  "Once selected, the software downloads (via http) the associated NOQ, NOS,
   and NOC files ..."

since the data would already be resident on your server.

re:
> The Unidata NexRad Level III archive is tremendously useful in allowing
> review of past storm events long after the data disappears off the RPCCDS
> servers.

One of the problems you will likely run into is the length of the archive
we maintain -- this changes as our storage resources become full (there
is continually more data to make available online).

FYI: I believe that there are several Skywarn sites around the country
who are getting data vi the LDM/IDD.

re:
> The NCDC archive might be useful - any more one has to wait weeks
> for the data to appear on it dampening its usefulness for our purpose.

Yup, we know what you mean.  I think what we all want is some sort of
cloud based rolling "real-time" archive; we are investigating this sort
of a "solution".  The only problem with a cloud-based approach is the
network bandwidth used (in and out) is not cheap like cloud-based
CPU cycles are.

re:
> FYI - our skywarn server has two IPs - 192.232.247.221 and 192.232.247.220.
>
> Your Unidata NexRad Level III archive appears to be one-of-a kind.  So
> tremendously useful for research and development!

re:
> As far as setting up our own LDM.........really don't think that is
> necessary at this time.....real-time data is still pulled from the RPCCDS
> ftp gateway.

It is our preferred approach for sites that need data on a continuing
basis since it uses a LOT less resources on our side.

re:
> The Unidata archive would only be accessed while
> post-researching significant storm events which hopefully won't happen very
> often.  But when we do investigate a past storms......it would be greatly
> helpful if the Unidata server would not keep cutting off the data during our
> work.

Please tell us fully-qualified name and IP address of your machine(s) that
you are experiencing disruption on, and we will investigate the situation
further.

re:
> Hope this gives you the information you need.  Please let me know if you
> need any additional.  Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Ticket ID: DKY-639434
Department: Support Datastream