[McIDAS #BVM-898546]: Incomplete GOES12 imagery?

Hi João,

re:
> Has anyone had problems as of late with GOES 12 (GOES-SOUTH) satellite
> imagery?
>
> After entering the following commands:
>
> DATALOC ADD SOUTH GOESSOUTH.UNIDATA.UCAR.EDU
> AKA ADD SSH SOUTH/SH
> IMGDISP SSH.-1 1 BAND=1 MAG=-10 -12 LAT=-12:48:20 54:23:08 GRAY=Y TEXT=X
> 251 2
>
> I have been getting images similar to:
>
> [image: Imagem inline 1]
>
> Notice the black lines and the white dots. Sometimes it gets much worse,
> with thick horizontal black lines of missing data.
>
> Is this happening to anyone else?

Yes, this is a property of the scan itself.  The dropped line
and speckles (white dots) are indicative of decreased signal
to noise at the extreme of the tracked scan.  As we were
repositioning our East dish to point at GOES-East yesterday
(GOES-13 returned as the operational GOES-East at 15:45),
I commented on the upcoming need to increase the limits that
the dish can track in the vertical (it is now capped at
around 3 degrees, and this is more-or-less the extreme edge
of the relative excursion of the satellite from the ecliptic.

Warning:

- our dish is located in a relatively poor location for tracking
  of GOES-South America (GOES-12).  At some point, we will be
  unable to track excursions past a certain angle.  At that
  point, scans will be lost completely.  It is our belief that
  NOAA will likely decommission GOES-12 before its excursion
  gets to be too great; they did this for GOES-10 when it was
  providing GOES-South America scans.  There is nothing we can
  do if NOAA decides to terminate GOES-12 operations.

Ticket ID: BVM-898546
Department: Support McIDAS