[Datastream #NUR-188992]: Peru Meteorology

Hi Marcial,

I'm sorry that I didn't see your follow-up email last night; I would
have answered it then if I had seen it...

re:
> How are you? Too busy?

Things are always busy at Unidata :-)  In late November I made a
whirlwind trip (left on a Saturday and returned on Friday!) to
Ghana as part of the UCAR Africa Initiative.  That kept me busy
for that week :-O

re: not being able to access satellite imagery in the IDV

> It turned out that they had a firewall rule interfering with IDV. We removed
> it and were able to display satellite Images.

Excellent!

re:
> Just another question. They asked me if they can use ldm to get metals and
> gfs for WRF.

I assume you mean get METARs and GFS model output to use in WRF?

They are certainly free to use the LDM -- it is freely available
software.  If you are asking if we can arrange for a site to feed
them the data that they want, then this should be possible.  I am
thinking that the best site to feed them the data that they want
(IDD datastreams: IDS|DDPLUS for the METAR data; and portions of
CONDUIT for global GFS data) is Texas A&M.  There are some things
that will need to be addressed before this feed can be established:

- registering with the Unidata website (we want all users to
  register with our web site so that we can track who is using
  the software that we provide)

- installation of the LDM on a *nix (Unix/Linux) machine in their
  facilities

- working with their network folks to make sure that forward AND
  reverse DNS exists for the machine that they install the LDMN
  on

- us working with Texas A&M to setup an ALLOW for their data
  REQUEST(s)

re:
> The institution is the SENAMHI, the met service of Peru. Can
> they use it?

Yes, use of the LDM is unrestricted.  As I noted above, the more
challenging part is arranging for a site to feed them.  Please
let me know if they want to proceed, and if they are asking for
an upstream feed site to be designated for them.

re:
> Thanks for your time,

No worries.  I hope you are enjoying your trip to Peru!

Ticket ID: NUR-188992
Department: Support Datastream