[Datastream #RCG-527598]: Global near real time synoptic surface observations

Hi Oliver,

re:
> I am looking for global near real time synoptic surface observations.
> Where is this data available and what kind of data access management
> do I need to obtain this kind of data? Thanks for your help.

The National Weather Service (NWS) makes observational data contained
in the Global Telecommunications System (GTS) available in a satellite
broadcast called the NOAAPort SBN to the U.S. NWS forecast offices.
Since this broadcast is open (i.e., not encrypted, etc.) sites can
"listen in" using a satellite reception system.  Many home hobbyists
are doing just this using their own satellite reception system and
software made freely available by various groups.

We, the Unidata Program Center of UCAR, make the data delivered in the
NOAAPort Satellite Broadcast Network (SBN) available via our Internet
Data Distribution system (IDD) to universities.  We do not provide
the IDD service to individuals or commercial users (because we are
not funded to do so), but several Unidata universities do if the
users/sites in question offer valuable services (one example is
SkyWarn).

The "data access management" facility you would need to receive data
via the IDD (if you can find a university that is willing to feed
you) is our Local Data Manager (LDM) software.  The LDM requires
that you have network bandwidth that is sufficient to receive the
data you are interested in.  This can be substantial depending on
what you want since NOAAPort's volume is currently about 12 Mbps
and is capable of being increased to 30 Mbps.

We wish you the best of luck in your endeavors...

Ticket ID: RCG-527598
Department: Support Datastream