[LDM #CJP-970226]: bufr satellite data availability through the LDM

Hi Tiziana,

The last time we "talked" you were finishing your PhD at UH.  I see from your
signature
line that this effort went well, congratulations!

re:
> My name is Tiziana Cherubini and I work for the Mauna Kea Weather Center
> (University of
> Hawaii;http://mkwc.ifa.hawaii.edu). We receive data through the LDM feed and
> I would be
> interested to know (couldn't find any reference to it on line) if the data
> available at
> the following NCEP ftp site:
>
> ftp://ftp.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data/nccf/com/gfs/prod/gdas.{yyyymmdd}
>
> are or could be available through the LDM feed in the same fashion the NCEP
> grib files
> are (CONDUIT)?

This is two questions:

- are they available?

  I don't believe that they are.

- can they be added to CONDUIT?

  Yes, as long as the CONDUIT community feels that their addition to the feed
  is important.

  NB: the process for getting new data added to CONDUIT takes time.  One must
  drum up support for an addition in the CONDUIT community, and then the
addition
  has to be OKAYed by the NOAA folks that operate the CONDUIT toplevel IDD
  relay machines.

  Aside:  The NOAA CONDUIT toplevel IDD relay machines are currently undergoing
  a "hardware refresh" (meaning that new machines have been purchased and they
  are now being readied to assume the data injection/relay role).  We received
  a note from the leader of this project on the NOAA side (Rebecca Cosgrove)
  yesterday related to the hardware refresh:

  "Basically I'm going to say that we're THISCLOSE to the upgrade (Carissa
   and Tom will test next week), and then I'll do the actions from last
   time of removing some stuff and adding others.  And then I'm going to
   say no new model stuff for the next year while we upgrade computers."

  Becky's second comment seems like it may be a show stopper (no new model
  stuff for the next year), but this might not be the case for smaller
  datasets; we'll just have to see.

re:
> These data could be used in model assimilation (through the WRFVAR) in
> operational
> mode.

OK.

re:
> As for the model grib file thought, it is by far more convenient to access
> those
> them via the LDM than through the ftp.

We agree.  That is the primary reason that the CONDUIT datastream was created
to begin with.

re:
> Thank you very much for your help and support.

No worries.

Ticket ID: CJP-970226
Department: Support Datastream