[Datastream #NLF-275876]: NOAAPORT GOES satellite question

Hi Patrick,

re:
> I had a question about NOAAPORT GOES satellite data that you folks may be
> able to answer. Currently we are considering using this data but need to
> know what the data latency times are.  Would you know about how long it
> takes for one of the GOES satellites (East or West) to send an individual
> scan out to NOAAPORT users?

No, this is not something that we have ever looked at.  Given that the
NOAAport images are intended for use by WFO forecasters, I can't imagine
that their latencies (as you define latency) is not very much.

re:
> For instance if a GOES-East Northern Hemisphere
> scan initiates at 10:45 GMT and completes at 11:00 GMT how long or what is
> the latency between when the scan completes and when it is available via
> NOAAPORT.

Again, we have never looked at this.

re:
> If you do not have this information, do you know of anyone who does?

I could figure this out by comparing the end time for a CONUS scan
from either GOES-East or GOES-West and the receipt of the corresponding
products in our IDD NIMAGE datafeed (the contents of the NIMAGE datastream
is all of the satellite imagery sent in NOAAPort).

Another thing it seems you should consider is that the GOES satellite
image sectors included in NOAAPort are typically conical remaps of
the original GOES scans, AND they are 8, not 10-bit.

What software do you use/intend to use for manipulating the satellite
imagery?  The reason I ask is that if you have ADDE-enabled applications,
you could get the data in real-time from the GOES-East, GOES-West and
GOES-South (South America) ingestors.

re:
> Thanks Very Much,

No worries.