[Datastream #WXY-540130]: Suggestion: EMWIN feed from UNIDATA

Hi Gilbert,

re:
> You know, I have had this for a few years as a backup, and
> over the last year or so, it has saved me a ton of trouble
> by having a full EMWIN feed. When NOAAPort has gone down due to server
> outages (this summer) or a rogue satellite (last winter), EMWIN
> has always stayed up, so that text bulletins can at least get through.

Yes, we have read the posts to the ldm-users email list with great
interest.

re:
> Given that a 2 meter dish is all that is required besides an LNB,
> and that others are relaying the data already (Dave Anderson
> in Florida), it should be pretty easy (and cheap) for UNIDATA to
> get it, if there are unused satellite dishes available.
> It can also be used as an outreach for those who have little bandwidth.
>
> What do you think?

We have never seriously looked into setting up EMWIN ingest/processing,
but were interested in the potential conflict described in

FCC Public Notice DA-1035 (ET Docket No. 10-123) released on June 4, 2010
http://www.weather.gov/emwin/Lband_sharing.htm

It seems like it would make good sense to see how this shakes out before
setting up ingest that may not be long term.

Comments?

Ticket ID: WXY-540130
Department: Support Datastream