[Datastream #XNS-984901]: NLDN access

Hi Dave,

I drove your question into our inquiry tracking system since it is a question
of general interest...

re:
> I assume you're still at Unidata! ;-)

So far ;-)

re:
> We're starting to populate a WMS with all kinds of data [radar, watches,
> warnings, etc.]. I attached a screen shot.

Russ Dengel sent me a link to the WMS service that showed the NEXRCOMP
composite Level III images... nice.

re:
> Dave Parker & I were talking about the possibility of adding lightning
> data, but I wasn't sure what the restrictions were for redistribution.
> Are you the right guy to ask?

I drove this question into our inquiry tracking system since the answer
to this question is useful for all of the sites that get the NLDN
and/or USPLN data via the IDD.

The answer is _NO_, it is not OK to make plots of NLDN or USPLN lightning
data generally available via the web.  It is permissible to make such
views available within one's own institution, but the licensing for both
lightning datasets prohibits making the data or displays of the data
generally available.

More information on lightning data can be found in:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

  Data
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/

    Lightning Data Available Through Unidata
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/lightning_data_2.html

      Lightning Data Available via the Unidata LDM/IDD
      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/lightning.html

re:
> One option we were thinking: show 'lightning regions' instead of
> individual strokes.

Hmm... this is an interesting twist.  My gut feeling is that the
suppliers of the lightning data would not consider this to be
much different than plots of lightning flashes/strokes.  I will
need to do a little more investigating, however, to be completely
comfortable with my interpretation of the policy.

Ticket ID: XNS-984901
Department: Support Datastream