[Datastream #BBN-975530]: gridded netcdf wind data (gfs, gasp)

> Dear Sir/Madam,
>
> I am currently using the wave model Wavewatch3, and am currently only
> using the provided sample wind forcing files.
>
> Would you be aware whether there is any location where I can obtain
> global (or at least Pacific-wide) gfs and/or gasp data in netcdf format
> (preferably from late 2007 onwards)? So far, I only found GRIB data for
> gfs (and none for gasp) and I am not sure how difficult it would be to
> convert GRIB to netcdf.
>
> Kind regards,
> Jasmine Jaffres

Hello Jasmine,

I will offer up a couple of options :)

1) Download the GRIB data and decode to netCDF yourself.
     To do this, please visit:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/decoders/

...and select:

Grib2Netcdf  (from the first paragraph, and follow the instructions)

OR (and this one is easier)

visit:

http://motherlode.ucar.edu:9080/thredds/idd/models.html
..scroll to bottom, select model you desire, then go to file access. There you
will probably want to go to the netCDF subset service to create the files of
interest

[Note] This is our Beta (test) server, and we currently have the data you
desire, in netCDF.

Be advised that this URL will change in the future as we migrate the Wavewatch3
data to our "operational" THREDDS server running on port 8080 (i.e. change the
9080 to 8080 in the URL).

All should be good on our beta server, and we welcome any feedback, please be
aware that the 9080 URL will change to 8080, so be careful if setting up a
programmatic access process :)

Hope this helps,

Jeff
Jeff Weber