[Datastream #UTI-227917]: Quick question on Cloud cover

> Hello,
>
> I am a scientist with United Technologies Corporation. I have been
> looking at using your "NCEP-GFS-Global_onedeg" dataset. There appear to
> be three different quantities all having something to do with total
> cloud cover: "Total_cloud_cover_convective_cloud", "Total_cloud_cover"
> and "Total_cloud_cover_entire_atmosphere". I was wondering if there is
> some documentation on how these three quantities are defined, used and
> related.
>
> Regards
>
> - Shiva Kameswaran

Hello Shiva,

We (UCAR/NCAR/Unidata) distribute the data, we do not generate the models here.
That is done at NCEP, and they will have better documentation of how they
derive the fields of the model output than we do :)

Off the cuff:

Total_cloud_cover_convective_cloud = all clouds convective (eliminates
stratiform clouds)

Total_cloud_cover = all clouds convective and stratiform

Total_cloud_cover_entire_atmosphere = (suspect it includes any stratospheric
(noctilucent) clouds)

Please visit:

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/mail_liaison/

..to send NCEP a support question, and this top level site ~may have some info
for you:

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/

I would start at:

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/products/