[Datastream #JNA-560164]: Dataset question.

> Greetings,
>
> I'm a completely confused and frustrated GIS graduate student.  I'm building
> a map layer that uses netcdf data but I can't figure out where I get the
> data.  ESRI Arc Desktop has an extension called Wind Speed Tools that will
> work for my needs but the instructions do not indicate where or how to find
> the netcdf datasets.
>
> What I am looking for is a daily or  up to 5 day forecast for a given area.
> From my past investigations I located a lot of data directories at NOAA but
> I had no clue what I was looking at.  The labeling scheme of the dataset and
> what the data was or contained was on apparent.
>
> Here are the only instructions for this extension.   If you could, read over
> the instructions and if possible recommend an appropriate source.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason Poser,
> Saint Mary's University
> Wind Speed Sample Tools
>
> -------------------------
>
> There are 3 sample tools
>
> 1) Create Wind Layer
>
> Create Wind Layer tool takes a feature class with wind speed and direction
> fields as an input
>
> and creates a feature class with reclassified wind speed and a feature
> layer file with appropriate wind barb symbols.
>
> 2) UV To Speed Direction
>
> UV To Speed Direction tool takes a feature class with U (wind component
> in X direction) and V (wind component in Y direction) fields as an
> input and creates a feature class with wind speed and wind direction
> fields.
>
> 3) Wind Renderer
>
> Windrenderer script reads in wind direction and wind speed netCDF files.
>
> It outputs a feature class with wind direction and speed fields, and a
> feature layer file with appropriate wind barb symbols assigned to each
> point with different wind direction and speed.
>
> NDFD wind speed and wind direction netCDF files are the only valid inputs to
> this tool.
>
> How To Use
>
> -----------
>
> 1) Copy WindSpeedTools.tbx, CreateWindRendererLayerFile.exe,
> UVToSpeedDirection.py, and WindRendererInCSharp.exe in the same folder.
>
> 2) Add WindSpeedTools.tbx'in ArcToolbox
>
> 3) Open a tool, specify parameters and execute.
>
> Help
>
> ----
>
> Right-click on a tool and select help.

Hi Jason,

You need the NDFD in netCDF, that can be obtained at:

http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalog/fmrc/NCEP/NDFD/CONUS_5km/files/catalog.html

This is form our top level catalog:
http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalog.html

then:

http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/idd/models.html

then:

http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalog/fmrc/NCEP/NDFD/CONUS_5km/catalog.html

There you will find "file access"

Grab the forecast run you desire, then select option 5 "#  NetcdfSubset:"

There you will select the variables you desire  i.e. U and V components of
wind, and select the domain you desire, and you will get a netCDF file in
return.

Good luck,

Jeff

Jeff Weber