[Datastream #ARY-905864]: Weather and Other Data for Italian Regions

Hi Michael,

re:
> I am a PhD candidate at the department of economics at the University of
> California, Berkeley.  I would like to include various weather
> observations as controls in my research project.
>
> I am looking for somewhat coarse data (i.e., yearly summaries) on various
> weather observations across the Italian regions, for the period from 1950
> to 2000.

Since we do not archive data, your best bet is to investigate the data
holdings at the National Climatic Data Center (NCDC):

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/ncdc.html

I am sure you can get the data you need from them, but you may need to
do a little work to create the spatial/temporal subset that you want.

re:
> If only a subset is available, I would still be interested in
> obtaining the available data.  I list below some of the data that I would
> like to have:
>
> 1. surface temperate (high (or mean of high), low (or mean of low), mean)
> 2. precipitation
>
> I have also found that your organization may also have other data that may
> be useful for me, including:
>
> 1. land cover and use, such as:
> a. agricultural land
> b. forest land
> c. grassland
> d. human settlements
> 2. water resources
>
> I have attempted to find the exact source at your site, but have not been
> successful.  I would appreciate your assistance in either obtaining this
> data or directing me to the appropriate resources.

You are likely referring to data holdings at the National Center for Atmospheric
Research (NCAR).  While our program (Unidata) is in the same organization as
NCAR (we are both in UCAR), we are not part of NCAR, and we are not directly
involved with their data holdings.  Perhaps the best place to start in
investigating
if NCAR has the type of data you need is:

CISL Research Data Archive
http://dss.ucar.edu/

If you can't find what you need through this website, the Help and Contact Us
links should be of help.

> Thank you for your time and attention.

No worries.  Best of luck in your endeavors!

Ticket ID: ARY-905864
Department: Support Datastream