20090828: MODIS on Aqua question (cont.)

Hi Sheila,

re:
> I would like to use chlorophyll a concentration data from MODIS on
> Aqua at 0.05 km resolution from the site
> http://las.pfeg.noaa.gov/oceanWatch/oceanwatch_safari.php?dsetinit=MH1&hab=0&varinit=chla&currentvarindex=0&compinit=mday&reginit=c&modeinit=u#
>
> However, I have been unable to determine from the metadata the
> exact geolocation of the data. For instance, if the ASCII output
> gives me latitude, longitude, and chla, would this data point be
> centered on the given latitude or longitude or offset to say the
> southeast  corner of the described grid cell.
>
> In advance, thank you for your help.

I assume that you mean you want to use the 0.05 degree (which is
nominally 5.55 km) MODIS on Aqua Chlorophyll-A data (8 day or monthly
composite...

I don't believe that there is any way to know apriori which portion of
the grid cell the location represents as this will be a function of the
way the data was processed from the original satellite scans.  Since
the original pass data has been remapped into a LatxLon projection, I
would assert that treating the location as the center of the grid cell
is as valid as anywhere else.

You may be able to get a more definitive answer from the person cited
as contributing the data (the person listed in the Data courtesy of:
reference on the top left portion of the page you included a URL for):

G. Feldman - NASA GSFC

A Google search for G. Feldman got me this reference:

http://www1.whoi.edu/mzweb/ssc-all.html

Gene C. Feldman
    NASA/GSFC
    Code 970.2, Bldg. 28, Rm. W161B
    Goddard Space Flight Center
    Greenbelt, MD 20771
    Tel: 301 286-9428
    Fax: 301 286-1775
    E-mail: address@hidden

I suggest contacting him for additional information about this dataset.

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas
Unidata User Support