[Support #HZE-881891]: Unidata-Wisconsin archive access

Hi Luis,

re:
> this note is to request access to the near real-time dataset from the
> Unidata-Wisconsin archive. In particular, I would like to extract
> digital imagery from the GOES satellite.
>
> In the past, until April of 2009, I used the login name  "unidata3"
> and its corresponding password to gain access via unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu.
> However, at this time I have denied access and I believe that there
> is a change in the login name, password or both. Who do I need to contact to
> check
> on this issue?

As Rosie from the SSEC Data Center noted, the machine that hosts the
Unidata-Wisconsin
datastream archive, unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu, has been having hardware problems
for the past two weeks.  Unfortunately, we do not have an estimate for when
the machine will be returned to full service.

In the meantime, you can access the realtime imagery that is sent in the
Unidata Wisconsin datastream over the web from motherlode.ucar.edu.

Here is how to walk the directories to find what you want:

http://motherlode.ucar.edu
  Decoded data archives
  http://motherlode.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/ldm/genweb?decoded
    gempak
    http://motherlode.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/ldm/genweb?decoded/gempak
      areas
      http://motherlode.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/ldm/genweb?decoded/gempak/areas

At this point, you will need to choose the type of image you want.
The choices you will see are:

ANTARCTIC
GOES-11
GOES-12
GOES-13
MDR
MOLL-IR
MOLL-WV
SOUNDER

NB: GOES-11 is GOES-West; GOES-12 is GOES-East plus GOES-10

If you are looking for GOES-11 images, you continue to walk the tree:

GOES-11
http://motherlode.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/ldm/genweb?decoded/gempak/areas/GOES-11
  4km
  http://motherlode.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/ldm/genweb?decoded/gempak/areas/GOES-11/4km
    10.7 (Thermal IR)
    http://motherlode.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/ldm/genweb?decoded/gempak/areas/GOES-11/4
km/10.7

At this point you will be present a list of all of the days of images that are
available.  Choose July 17, for instance:

http://motherlode.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/ldm/genweb?decoded/gempak/areas/GOES-11/4km/10.7/20090717

Here you will find a list of all of the images that are available.  Simply
click on one to download it.

That's it!

Ticket ID: HZE-881891
Department: Support Datastream