[CONDUIT #DMK-987645]: no ftp to motherlode

Hi Ruth,

re:
> I use motherlode to get conduit data on an occasional basis. I usually
> ftp to motherlode to get the data. Since the beginning of September I
> have gotten a time out on the ftp connection. I can still get to the
> data on motherlode through the web server at http://motherlode.ucar.edu/.
> When I try to ftp to motherlode I get the following:
>
> ftp motherlode.ucar.edu
> ftp: connect: Operation timed out
>
> Are you no longer allowing ftp access to motherlode? I have a login and
> password.

FTP access to motherlode was turned off at the beginning of September for a
variety of reasons including an undue amount of log messages to have to deal
with.
The decision was not considered to be a major removal of service since all of
the data that was available via FTP is still available via http (as you note)
and through THREDDS catalogs.

> I realize this may not be the right address for motherlode questions,
> but I didn't see an address that seemed related.

The support-conduit address was a bit off from what we would have liked, but OK
nonetheless.  A better address to use in the future would be address@hidden.

> Thanks for your help,

No worries.  Sorry for the problems that turning off FTP have caused you.

Please let us know if the http and/or THREDDS access to the data is workable
for you.

Ticket ID: DMK-987645
Department: Support CONDUIT