[Datastream #OMB-868480]: GOES-10 McIDAS data

Hi Stacy,

re:
> Thanks for your response.  I appreciate all the information.

No worries.

> FYI, I'm interested in data (channels 1, 3, and 4)  from Sep 1, 2007
> through Apr 30, 2008 in the region defined by the continent of South
> America:
>
> 55S to 15N
> 85W to 33W

OK.

> From what I've read, it sounds like GOES-10 is stationed at 60W and is
> the S. American satellite.

Yes.

> However, there is no GOES-10 data on the ftp
> site you mentioned.

As I said in my previous email, GOES-10 data is being composited into the
GOES-East
sectors of the Unidata-Wisconsin (IDD feed type UNIWISC aka MCIDAS) datastream.
The thinking behind the composites is to use as much GOES-12 data as possible
since it is the operational GOES-East platform, and to fill in areas not scanned
with GOES-10 data.  This approach has been quite successful and should give
you a dataset that is very useful for your research.  The only drawback that
I can see is that the archive does not contain the VIS data at its highest
resolution (1 km).  The GOES-East VIS sector resolution was set to 4 km to match
that of the IR channels.

> Rather, it is all GOES-11 and GOES-12 data.  Is
> there somewhere else where I might find the GOES-10 data??

As far as I know, there is no freely-available GOES-10 archive.

Please take a look at the content of the GOES-East (labeled GOES-12) sectors
from
the FTP site and see if they don't provide you with pretty much just what you
need/want.

> Thanks again.

No worries.

Ticket ID: OMB-868480