[Datastream #OMB-868480]: GOES-10 McIDAS data

Hi Stacy,

re:
> My name is Stacy Brodzik and I work at the University of Washington as a
> staff member in the Atmospheric Sciences Department.  We will be
> participating in some research in the Andes region of S America within
> the next year or two and I am trying to get some historical satellite
> data (McIDAS area files) from that region.

'Andes region of S America' covers a very large area.  Is there some area
in particular that you are interested in?

Also, 'historical' satellite data also covers a large time frame.  Is there
a set of years that you are interested in?

> I was wondering if that's
> something I can get from you or if you know of somewhere I can get it.

The images sent in the Unidata-Wisconsin IDD datasetream (IDD feedtype
UNIWISC aka MCIDAS) has included coverage from GOES-10 soon after it was drifted
to 60W by NOAA.  We started adding GOES-10 data to the GOES-East sectors
at the end of January, 2007.  The various IR channels (3.9 um, 6.8 um, and 10.7
um)
sent in the UNIWISC feed are full resolution (4 km).  Since the long wave IR
channel
on GOES-East (GOES-12) is different from the long wave IR channel on GOES-10
(13.3 um vs 12.0 um), there was no attempt to add GOES-10 data to the GOES-East
sectors.

The VIS images are not full resolution.  Their resolution was set to 4 km to
match
the IR sectors.

> In the past, I've been able to get Meteosat McIDAS files from a website
> of theirs for research in other areas of the world and was hoping you
> had something similar set up.

The images sent in the Unidata-Wisconsin IDD datastream have been archived
at the University of Wisconsin/SSEC since 1991.  The archive is not
100% complete, but the temporal coverage is good.  Approximately 1 year of
the most recent images from that archive is kept online and is immediately
available for passworded FTP download:

machine:   unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu
user:      unidata3
pass:      unirec7
directory: realtime -> most recent images organized in subdirectories by date
           urequest -> images copied off of tape back to disk upon request by
                       a user

The following web page describes the directory layout and file naming convention
for the files in the archive:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

->Data
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data

  ->Archive Data Access, Unidata-Wisconsin IDD Datastream
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/unirec.html

The information in the last URL gives information on how one can
make a request for images that are archived on take can be loaded
back to disk for FTP download.

Please be aware that the coverage over South America in the Unidata-Wisconsin
GOES-East sectors prior to the end of January, 2007 is limited to approximately
1.5 degrees south latitude.  Since then, the coverage extends as far south as
GOES-10 scans for those times when GOES-10 was scanning in temporal proximity
to GOES-East.

> Thanks for your time.

No worries.

Ticket ID: OMB-868480