[Datastream #FRH-955376]: questions about LDM feed of MADIS data from NOAA/GSD

Hi Brian,

Gary Lackmann forwarded your question regarding the contents of the MADIS
data that NOAA/GSD provides via point-to-point LDM feeds to Unidata User
Support...

re:
> You asked the following in a reply to Gary Lackmann:
>
> re: MADIS data were available already through the LDM
>
> >I heard this might be the case. However, are they really going to let
> >universities grab ALL the data, such as the AWS, UrbanNet, etc...? I have
> >had a MADIS account for years, and I could never touch that data.

I do not know if the point-to-point LDM feed of MADIS data from
NOAA/GSD includes the specific datasets that you mention (e.g.,
AWS, UrbaNet, etc.).  The NOAA webpage on MADIS data:

http://madis.noaa.gov/

does not go into specifics on what datasets are included in the feed.

The following comment about how the ways that the data are being made
available, however, strongly suggests that the contents of the LDM
point-to-point feed are the same as what can be transferred using
FTP and OPeNDAP:

 "The ESRL/GSD database is available via ftp, by using Unidata's Local
  Data Manager (LDM) software, through the use of OPen source project
  for Network Data Access Protocol (OPeNDAP (formerly DODS)) clients, or
  for the surface datasets through the Text/XML Viewer found below. Users
  can subscribe to the entire database, or ask for only particular datasets
  of interest."

The following link briefly describes the content of the dataset:

http://madis.noaa.gov/madis_datasets.html

The subsidiary link to UrbaNet data:

http://madis.noaa.gov/urbanet.html

suggests that the data is available as well.  The last statement on this
dataset does seem to indicate that not all of the AWS data is making it
into the UrbaNet set:

 "Note that not all of the AWS stations in these areas are converting
  to UrbaNet.

If you are interested in a specific list of products that you believe are
currently not available, I would be happy to send them along to the GSD MADIS
contact, Patti Miller <address@hidden>, with a request that they
be made available to the Unidata university community.

Ticket ID: FRH-955376
Department: Support Datastream