[Miscellaneous #NEM-588329]: about NLDN data

Hi,

re:
> I want to know how to plot the NLDN data on a map. Could you tell me
> something about this?

If you are using one of our display/analysis packages like GEMPAK, you
would need to:

- install the display/analysis package as per instructions from the
  packages web page (e.g., http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak)

- setup decoding of the NLDN data into the package-specific format.

  This will likely be different for you since you will not be able to get
  a realtime feed of NLDN data from SUNY Albany (they are only allowed to
  distribute the data to US universities).  The GEMPAK NLDN lightning
  decoder can be run "by hand" on appropriately formatted data files.

- use the display package to display the lightning data over a map

> Another question is could you send me the software that allows McIDAS,
> GEMPAK, and the IDV to use NLDN data?

Our license to distribute McIDAS allows us to provide McIDAS to eductational
institutions only.  GEMPAK, on the other hand, can be downloaded by anyone/any
group.
The procedure for obtaining software from us is:

1) register with our website:

   Unidata HomePage
   http://www.unidata.ucar.edu
     Click on the Login link near the top right of the HomePage
     Follow instructions for registering as a new user

2) once you have registered with our website, you will be allowed to download
   the package(s) you are interested in (except McIDAS unless you are an
   educational institution) via the Downloads page:

   http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/index.jsp

> And could you show me some informations how Unidata software may be
> used to analyze and display lightning data.

There is really not much to show.  Once you have a package like GEMPAK
installed,
and after you have created a procedure to convert the NLDN data you have
(presumably
you will get the data from Vaisala) into the format needed (e.g., GEMPAK point
data),
then you would run NMAP2 and select Lightning displays from the appropriate
menu.

> Waiting for your reply.

I hope that this helped.

Ticket ID: NEM-588329