[Support #SBJ-482347]: MTSAT data from ADDE

Hi Gary,

re:
> Gary Cunning mentioned to me that you may have a resource
> for getting MTSAT satellite within the McIDAS environment.

Yes.  MTSAT imagery can be accessed using ADDE from a NOAA
site:

ADDE group:  PUB
ADDE server: GP16.SSD.NESDIS.NOAA.GOV

In addition to MTSAT, this server has GOES-East/West, FY-2C, and the
publically available MSG data.

Some other news.  EUMETSAT is set to annnounce the availablility of
realtime MSG (METEOSAT-8) data through ADDE.  This announcement will
be made at the AGU Joint Assembly that will be held in Baltimore
on 23-26 of this month.

> I'm transferring our Cloud Top Height Technology to the AWC
> and they currently can only provide me that information in
> a satellite mosaic.  If you can identify a source that we
> could use for this data, it would be great!

Check out the PUB dataset on GP16.SSD.NESDIS.NOAA.GOV and let
me know if you have any questions.

> I was curious about how tapping into the NCAR/RAL GOES feeds
> is coming along.  I know a lot of the "players" have changed
> since we talked about it last.  Since the AWC (or NCEP for
> that matter) is using the McIDAS environment, I'm trying to
> make a permanent switch so our tech transfers are more
> seamless.

We have a GOES-West ingester working up at the mesa lab.  SCD
surplused a 4.5m dish (located in their south parking lot) some
time ago, and we snagged it.  Mike purchased the appropriate
Quorum LNB and had it installed almost a year ago.  We are tapping
signal and data off of one of the old TeraScan units we have
(I think it is the one we got from you, not JOSS) and feed it
into a McIDAS SDI system where we can access the imagery using
ADDE.  The system was working nicely until the precip last week
when we started getting some errors -- need to investigate that.

So, our proof of concept installation has shown that this setup
can work.  To my way of thinking, the next step is one of two
things:

- identify a suitable dish for GOES-East ingest and get the
  same setup working on it

- relocate the ingest to the RAP machine room and tap signal
  and data off of the antennas at FL2.  This option will require
  a suitable splitter/amplifier

> Any help is appreciate.
>
> Gary
>
> --