[Datastream #COG-428018]: Unidata: NEXRAD composite question

Hi Russ,

re:
> I wondering if the Unidata NEDRAD composites uses the 125 NMI range
> data  (Base Reflectivity) images?

Yes.  The reflectivity composites available in the IDD FNEXRAD datastream
are created using the N0R products, and they extend out to 125 km.

> The attached image is a NEXRAD mask
> for the US and it indicates some data void regions in the western states
> (like in central Nevada.

Right.  The lack of complete coverage is one reason that I decided to
include the National RCM composite in the FNEXRAD datastream.  My intent
was to allow sites to see how much better Chiz's composites are AND to
make available a product that shows where the data gaps are.

Take a look at the NEXRCOMP/10KRCM-NAT images off of any of the cooperating
community ADDE server installations:

adde.ucar.edu
adde.geo.nsf.gov
papagayo.unl.edu
etc.

I usually display this image using the old MDR enhancement (mdr.et):

 Brightness  Blue      Green      Red
  min max   min max   min max   min max
  --- ---   --- ---   --- ---   --- ---
    0  31     0   0     0   0     0   0
   32  63     0   0   110 110     0   0
   64  95     0   0   182 182     0   0
   96 127     0   0   255 255     0   0
  128 159   255 255     0   0     0   0
  160 191     0   0   255 255   255 255
  192 223     0   0     0   0   255 255
  224 254   255 255   255 255   255 255
  255 255    48  48    48  48    48  48

By the way, please send questions regarding IDD datastream products to
address@hidden so they can be automatically forwarded
to our new inquiry tracking system.  Thanks!

Ticket ID: COG-428018
Department: Support Datastream