[Datastream #JBC-714516]: Western Pacific IR Sat Images in McIDAS

Hi Phil,

re:
> I am hoping to find McIDAS format for satellite images in
> real-time for the western Pacific. Could you point me in the direction
> where these may be available to retrieve?

The SATEPS division of NESDIS maintains a publically accessible ADDE
server that has the data you are looking for:

server: gp16.ssd.nesdis.noaa.gov
ADDE group: PUB

Just aim your ADDE-enabled application (McIDAS or IDV) at the server
for the PUB dataset and ask for a listing of the available descriptors.
In McIDAS this is done with:

DATALOC ADD PUB gp16.ssd.nesdis.noaa.gov
DSINFO IMAGE PUB

The descriptors you will probably be interested in are:

FY2C-CH1
FY2C-CH2
FY2C-CH3
FY2C-CH4
FY2C-CH5
MTGLOB01V
MTGLOB02V
MTGLOB04I2
MTGLOB04I3
MTGLOB04I4
MTGLOB04I5
MTNHEM01V
MTNHEM04I2
MTNHEM04I3
MTNHEM04I4
MTNHEM04I5

You can use McIDAS to copy images from the remote server and
save them in a LOCAL-DATA dataset in AREA format.  Please let
me know if you have questions on how to do this.

Ticket ID: JBC-714516
Department: Support Datastream