20051013: status of 4 CIMSS products formerly in IDD UNIWISC feed (cont.)

>From: Jim Nelson <address@hidden>

Hi Jim,

>One thing about the  GERSST  ADDE  group -- Jerry Robaidek thought that
>these areafiles  consisted of GOES-derived SST's, which are updated
>several times daily.
>The  NESDIS  PLB/RSST.1   SST areafile I mentioned before is only
>updated 1 time daily.

I noticed that right after you pointed me to the PLB dataset.

>That being said, we'd need to restart the processing for the
>GOES-derived SST's, which may or may not be easy.  Fred Wu wrote
>the original code, but he now works at NESDIS in Washington, D.C.
>So some work will doubtless be involved, if you decide to go that route.
>The PLB/RSST.1  route should be easier to implement, but of course the
>product is less dynamic than Fred's GOES-derived SST's.

I modified the cron-initiated action for the SST product yesterday
afternoon to start grabbing the PLB/RSST.1 image from SATEPS and
distribute it in the IDD. Even though this product is only updated
once-per-day, I think it will be extremely useful for the Unidata
community mainly because it has global coverage.  After the data has
accumulated for a few weeks, I will be in a better position to evaluate
the usefulness of SST image loops for the community, but my gut feeling
is that this product will be very popular both here in the US and in
the expanding Unidata community in South America. Given this, please do
not expend resources to revive the creation of the GOES-derived SSTs.

The other thing I implemented yesterday afternoon was grabbing of the
EDWARD/GCOZONE product and distributing it in the IDD.  I hope that
routine access to the data on edward.ssec.wisc.edu is OK.  If it is
not, please let me know as soon as possible.

>Please let me know what you'd like to do.   Thank you.

One last question:  will it be possible to revive the creation of
the wildfire ABBA products?  I think that these would be very useful
especially for Unidata users in Brazil (given their current drought).

Again, thanks for all of the help!