20041019: Wind Profiler data

>From: "Kemp, Eric M." <address@hidden>

Eric,

>Are there any sources of real-time or archived wind profiler data useable
>by McIDAS?

The Unidata IDD contains FSL wind profiler data in netCDF format.  I
believe that sites can get the netCDF formatted wind profiler data
directly from FSL via FTP or LDM/IDD transfer.

The Unidata supported ldm-mcidas package contains a decoder that
converts both the hourly summary and 6-minute data into McIDAS MD
files.  I am in the process of cutting binary distributions of the
latest ldm-mcidas release, v2004.  If you decide that you would like
to use the ldm-mcidas netCDF wind profiler decoder, you should wait
until I announce its availability.  I make this announcement to the
ldm-users and mcidas-x email lists that we maintain, so if you want
to get the announcement, you will need to subscribe to either/both
of these lists.

You can (un)subscribe to any Unidata-maintained email list online
at:

As far as there being an archive of the data, we do not keep one.
It is possible, however, that one or more sites in the Unidata community
may save the wind profiler netCDF files which you could then convert
into McIDAS MD files.  You could repost your inquiry to the
needdata list that we maintain to see if folks have what you are
looking for.  You must, however, be subscribed to a Unidata-maintained
email list before you can post to it (helps us cut out spam).  Go
to the URL listed above to subscribe to needdata.unidata.ucar.edu
and wait until you have received verification of your subscription
before reposting your request.

>Thanks,

No worries.

Tom Yoksas