20040401: archived imagery and GRIB data

>From: address@hidden (Jennie L. Moody)

Jennie,

>I have lost track of how/if there are any archived sources
>for satellite imagery available for unidata users.
>There used to be a Wisconsin archive for imagery.

Yes, there is still an archive for the imagery sent in the
Unidata-Wisconsin datastream (IDD feed type UNIWISC aka MCIDAS).

>I need Water Vapor images from June 23-28 of 2003
>(or at least a few days in this period).  How do
>I go about grabbing these, is there still a
>request avenue.  I am thinking maybe this has all
>changed?

For imagery that is not already on the machine at SSEC,
the procedure is still the same:

- send an email to address@hidden that specifies
  the days you want UNIWISC imagery for

- FTP the data from the urequest subdirectory in which the
  images will be loaded.

There is a new wrinkle in access to the data, however.  The
"archive" machine has a LOT of old data online, so it is
possible that the imagery you are looking for are immediately
available.  Here's how to check:

ftp unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu
  <user> unidata2
  <pass> XXXXXX
  cd neartime/20030623
  dir
  cd ../20030624
  dir
  cd ../20030625
  dir
  cd ../20030626
  dir
  quit

>I am looking for AREA files.

The images are in AREA format, but are named differently:

CCYYMMDDHHMM.goes10ir
CCYYMMDDHHMM.goes10vis

>At the same time, I
>would like to grab ETA or GFS (AVN/MRF) GRIDS
>if possible.

There is no model data archived on unidata2, nor is there any model
data archived on motherlode.ucar.edu.  If you were looking for model
data that was less than 90 days old, you could try getting it from the
NCAR/SCD Community Data Portal.  Check http://dss.ucar.edu/ to see if
you can find what you are looking for.

If you can not find the model data you need, I would recommend sending
a note to the address@hidden email list AFTER you subscribe
to the list.  If you are not subscribed to the list, your email will
bounce to support and I will have to send you a note reminding you that
you need to subscribe to any Unidata-maintained email list before you
can post to it.  Please wait for confirmation of your subscription
before you post.

>Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Please let me know if the above doesn't get you going.

>Thanks much.

No worries.