20040118: Unidata NOAAPORT ingest system

>From:  Declan Cannon <address@hidden>

Hi Declan,

>I was at your presentation at the AMS this past week. You had mentioned a
>NOAAPort on one of your last slides. I was going to ask about PDI being able
>to bid on such a product. However, I  later saw mention of UNIDATA assisting
>UCR with a "UNIDATA-developed NOAAPort reception system".

Yes.  I am going to travel to Costa Rica in late February to install a
single channel system.  They already have a 7 meter dish with
associated LNB, so the installation is simply providing our software on
a rebuilt PC we are donating coupled with an spare EFData modem we are
also donating for the initial feed and a NOVRA S75 unit for the DVB-S
feed when it becomes operational.  We have been using our setup with
the test DVB-S broadcast on the vacated GOES-West channel with
excellent success.

>I did not realize that you guys had systems.

We developed our NOAAPORT ingest system several years ago (the initial
work was done by Glenn Davis).  Our systems are used to "power" the IDD
feeds of NOAAPORT data.  I have been under the impression that Stonie
knew about our system already since he has been getting support from
us (Steve Chiswell) on the best way to write LDM queue insertion
routines.

>Is this an area that you will be expanding in the future? Thanks.

I don't know if I would characterize our intentions as expanding, although
we will most likely create a web page outlining what we have created.

To this point, Unidata NOAAPORT ingest boxes have only been used to
populate the IDD.  A system is being provided to the Universidad de
Costa Rica since their networking situation does not allow for realtime
feeds of data over the net.