20030828: Second Notice:: Proposed changes to the Unidata-Wisconsin IDD datastream (cont.)

>From: Jim Koermer <address@hidden>

Hi Jim,

re: proposed Unidata-Wisconsin datasteam changes

>My only wish would be that this change occur towards the latter part of
>the month and not early on. We have classes starting up and there will
>be a number of changes that we will have to make to accomodate the data,
>etc.

OK.  This fits in with the schedule I had in mind.  There are a number
of things that have to be done on the originating machine so that
the new sectors get properly archived.

>Other than this, bring it on! I appreciate the greater time resolution
>that I've gotten used to with GINI data and the expansion over S.
>America is also a nice addition.

Thanks for the input.

On a different topic, I must apologize for not responding to your
inquiry about enhancements for the CIMSS products you sent a note
to ldm-users about.  The same CIMSS products have been in the NOAAPORT
stream for a pretty long time (2 years?).  Equivalent ones are
also included in the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream.  Please see:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/data/datastream.html#cimss_ssec

for illustrations of the products.

Lastly, my McIDAS distribution has McIDAS enhancements and stretch
tables for the images:

in ~mcidas/data:

CAPE.ET   <- CAPE product
CTP.ET    <- cloud top temperature
LI.ET     <- lifted index
OZONE.ET  <- ozone product
PW.ET     <- precipitable water product
SST.ET    <- sea surface temperature product
WFABBA.ET <- Wildfire ABBA product

The McIDAS MCGUI interface is setup to load all of the CIMSS products
from UNIWISC feed and the NOAAPORT products using the above enhancements.

One can use McIDAS to list out the enhancement definitions.  Here is
one example:

EU TABLE CAPE
 Brightness  Blue      Green      Red
  min max   min max   min max   min max
  --- ---   --- ---   --- ---   --- ---
    0   1     0   0     0   0     0   0
    2  32    10 115    40 170    60 215
   33  49   250 150   150  80   150  80
   50  66     0   0   140 255   140 255
   67  82   100  40   130  40   255 150
   83  99   100 180     0   0   120 200
  100 199    60 120   255  80    60 180
  200 214   110 128   110 128   110 128
  215 230   148 170   148 170   148 170
  231 240   190 220   190 220   190 220
  241 255   255 255   255 255   255 255
EU: Done

Sorry I couldn't send you this information sooner, but I have been
swamped (like everyone else out there).