20030811: Proposed changes to the Unidata-Wisconsin IDD datastream (cont.)

>From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Christian_Pag=E9?= <address@hidden>

Hi Christian,

>I looked at the changes are this will be very good to see new bands
>appearing in the IDD.

Thanks for the input.

>But I am personally not interested in southern hemisphere imagery.

There has been a standing request from User Committee members for coverage
below the equator for a number of years.  You are the first to indicate
no interest in the extended coverage.

>But, why not have a frequency of 15 mins instead of 30 mins?

The imagery that is available every 15 minutes covers the CONUS (CONtinental
US) only.  Extending the coverage south can only be done every half hour.

>Would this be too much for the IDD?

No, the LDM/IDD can handle a lot more data than what is being sent
in the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream.  As a comparison of data volumes,
check out that in the CONDUIT feed:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/iddstats_vol_nc?CONDUIT+thelma.ucar.edu

You will see that the CONDUIT volume ranges to over 1.8 GB per hour,
and the IDD is moving this data _to sites with sufficient bandwidth_ with
no appreciable latency.

>Also, any chance to see 1-km VIS?

My plan was to give access to even higher temporal and spatial imagery
through McIDAS ADDE.  This includes the full 2-byte, 1 km VIS images from
the GOES platforms.

If the 15-minute, 1 km remapped VIS images you are accessing through
ADDE are something you would like to be delivered through your IDD
connection, we can setup you up with an upstream site for the NIMAGE
datastream.  This stream contains all of the GINI imagery in the
NOAAPORT broadcast including 1 km VIS every 15 minutes.  The only
thing that some users don't like is the fact that the imagery has
been remapped from its original navigation.

Thanks for the input!

>Christian Pagé
>address@hidden
>http://meteocentre.com/    http://meteoalerte.com/
>
>Etudiant au Doctorat en Sciences de l'environnement UQAM
>+1 514 987 3000 ext. 2376

Tom