20030720: UNIWISC McIDAS AREA file product data stream (cont.)

>From: Melanie Wetzel <address@hidden>

Hi Melanie,

>    The increase to half-hourly GOES sectors will be great.

OK, thanks for the input.  Another user suggested that we include
the southern scans from GOES-West to increase the areal coverage
of the western sectors.  Do you have any strong opinions on this?

>I have a
>question about the wildfire and SST products from CIMSS.   Are they
>available for the western US derived from GOES-West.

The last time I looked (a few months ago now), they were not available.
I will double check to see if products are being created from GOES-West.
Adding new CIMSS products to the datastream is a very simple proposition.

>I saw the product
>example for SST on your web site, and it was from GOES-East only.  Not
>sure if the SST product is being transmitted routinely.

The CIMSS SST product is being created every three hours.

>AREA1120-1129
>doesn't seem to be among the files I am getting on the LDM feed that
>Greg McCurdy set up for my computer, but perhaps he had removed that due
>to geographic coverage.

I will double check to make sure that those products are available.
Also, like the Wildfire ABBA products, I don't think that CIMSS
is creating SSTs from GOES-West.  If I am mistaken, it will be an
easy situation to correct/augment.

>There are faculty here doing research and
>teaching on both fire weather and the Southwest Monsoon, who could
>benefit from GOES-West SST and wildfire AREA projects if available.

Thanks for the input.  I will look into the availability of Western
Wildfire ABBA and SST products.

>Thanks!

No worries.  By the way, I have not had the chance to tell you how
pleased I am that you were able to join the Unidata Policy Committee!

Tom

>From address@hidden Mon Jul 21 09:21:32 2003

Thanks for the information and your kind words, Tom.

It would be great to extend the GOES-West sector southward to extend
the geographic coverage.  And if there are GOES-West products on SST
and ABBA (now, or that we could request from CIMSS), it would be very
helpful.   The impacts of Pacific SST and western wildfires to climate,
weather and air pollution in the West is becoming more critical to
prediction and assessment.